Author Topic: starting  (Read 1441 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: starting
« Reply #15 on: 09.04. 2015 15:49 »
I found I was using the choke in the WRONG direction. ie. when first starting (and applying choke) I was moving the lever from forward to back position.... but I then learnt that this was completely wrong, ie. the choke OFF is with the lever pulled all the way back (towards you sitting on bike), and to put choke on, you push forward.
On my bike the choke appears to have little or no influence on how the engine runs or starts. It will start with the choke lever in either position. My son in law borrowed my bike and not being familiar with the choke operation he rode it with the choke on. Out of interest I checked the plugs, and the plug colour was the same colour as when I ride with the choke in the correct postion. All rather odd, and yes I have double checked the choke is definately operating correctly.
John

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #16 on: 09.04. 2015 16:35 »
Mine is the same, no difference, also checked it...
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 09.04. 2015 17:09 »
to large pilot jet maybe
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 09.04. 2015 18:04 »
the choke OFF is with the lever pulled all the way back (towards you sitting on bike), and to put choke on, you push forward.

Depends what sort of choke lever is mounted on which side of the bars.  Choke cable should be pulled tight for normal running.

Offline oldbeezageezer

• Moving Up
« Reply #19 on: 12.04. 2015 16:33 »
I have been having the same problem with my '54 A10. Been out twice on it and the first time to a show. I was parked for about two hours and it was a b**** to start. It eventually fired and I got home.
Second run, covered about 20 miles and the bike died on me and no amount of tickling and kicking had any effect so I called AA beakdown/take home. I had to wait one and half hours for them and tried the bike while I waited but no joy. When the breakdown arrived the driver was a biker and tried the bike and it fired but would not run. He took rocker covers of and checked clearances, which were tight. I had set them as recommended at 8 and 10. Mechanic said that when the engine gets hot gaps are closing and that's why it wouldn't start.

Anyway, I have just come in from my garage after having reset gaps to 10 and 12th. I went for a 5 mile run and when I got home, killed the engine, took my gear off, made a cuppa and went back to bike. Got it just over compression and gave it a kick and it fired. second kick it was running. I let it idle for a while, turned fuel off then killed engine again. Gave it 5 minutes and gave it kick without turning on the fuel or tickling and it fired up easy as you like.
It's noisier than I would like but if I can go out and not worry if I am going to get home, I can live with it.
I don't have a choke on mine.
1954 A10
1972 CB 350 K4
YAMAHA XV750
1999 CBR600

Offline agonda1

• Moving Up
« Reply #20 on: 12.04. 2015 18:50 »
Same experience here .Opened up exhaust tappet clearance by 0.005 and it starts OK now hot or cold
Just a thought , how much oil goes in the chain case and what type

Jim