Author Topic: RGS frame  (Read 1265 times)

Offline The pirate

• A's Good Friend
  • My Super Rocket
RGS frame
« on: 10.04. 2015 11:52 »
Hi guys. I know this has been done to death over the years in this forum with no conclusive "this is what the difference is"! What is the main difference between a RGS frame and a GF/SR frame. I know the RGS has rear set lugs; What else? ............... The reason for the question, when my bike was parked in the café strip of York a man came up to me and categorically told me it was not a RGS. my answer was - "I know .... its a super rocket with goldie goodies". then he went on and spruked lots of crap about the frame. Hence my question because I don't know and I have been riding BSA A10's for going on 45 years now.

Any info would be great.
The Pirate

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: RGS frame
« Reply #1 on: 10.04. 2015 13:08 »
Well now
there are those that know
there are those that would like to know

beware those that would like us all to know they know - if you know what I mean
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 10.04. 2015 13:12 »
G'day mate, I'm no expert but the frame # should be GA10.##### and the four front engine mounts are cast lugs (late SR's also have these) (std A7/10 have two cast and two weld on lugs).
A good post over on the Brit Bike Forum
 http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=239054&page=1
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #3 on: 10.04. 2015 14:19 »
A topic that causes more speculation than anything else that I can think of. All except the first two prototype BSA RGS frames were stamped GA10. All other A10 frames were stamped A7. Some of the obvious differences were: All four front engine mounts were castings, but beware! this is not an infalable indicator of an RGS frame. There are some A10s about fitted with four cast lugs. The headstock wrap round reinforcment plate is different to the A10. There is no provision for attaching a tyre inflator to the RGS frame. These lugs were not fitted to the RGS, but they were fitted to A10's. The top fork yoke has no provision for a steering lock either. It should not be forgotten either that the RGS started life as a built to order custom bike made by Eddie Dowe of Banbury. Some of the parts that Dowe needed to build his Rocket Gold Stars were not available from BSA as spare parts. The story goes that Alistair Cave supplied the relevant Goldie parts surreptitiously. There are many Rocket Gold Stars around that are not replicas fitted with non original items like non QD headlamps.  All UK bikes were supplied with those. That said, customers could choose from many   different options when placing their order ranging from roadsters with standard front footrests to full clubmans trim with an ally tank. I would not be to worried by a what self appointed know all says. You are not trying to pass it off as the genuine article. Just enjoy your bike for what it is. For what it is worth, I think that much of the hype about what is, or is not real,  is fuelled by people who regard the RGS not as a motorcycle, but as an investment.
John

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.04. 2015 15:57 »

weeeell...I'm by far no expert either, but as far as I can tell, the RGS/repros have adaptions of the same QD (crinkle hub) as on '54-'55 S/A with rod rear brake, and compatible B/pedal, maybe not even rearsets, and maybe siamese pipes, and a fancy tank....and if a Genuine RGS, as Musky said, deffo GA******..frame, but a self confessed repro can be whatever you want and if anyone wants to dispute, they can be subject to dispensation to far away queues  *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.04. 2015 16:03 »
. For what it is worth, I think that much of the hype about what is, or is not real,  is fuelled by people who regard the RGS not as a motorcycle, but as an investment.

Well said sir, and if it's not sacrilage to say so here if I could dream of  owning a RGS I'd dream a little harder for a Goldie (would still have me As as well like)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 10.04. 2015 19:23 »
 i had a a conversation with a local dinausoar who still owns his goldie from new about genuine and copies and his answer was that the copies are so good that the only way to be certain was to know the history. i believe the rgs had individual engine performance reports.  anyway some genuine period bsa,s are certainly rarer than goldies these days. remember the found in a garden standard a10 old banger with all the original parts missing or broken, leaking tanks, ripped seat, wrong speedo , etc.

Offline The pirate

• A's Good Friend
  • My Super Rocket
« Reply #7 on: 11.04. 2015 06:01 »
Thanks guys for all the information, from reading all the answers there is no definitive answer. BSA used up what parts they could when running short and that would go well with a bike that was made off the factory originally and at the end of the model production life in the factory to customer order.

I am not at all concerned what anyone thinks of my bike, it is a copy of what I had /could afford when I was a lot younger than I am today. And I love it for what it is with its vibrations, leaks, wandering in the corners and looking like a million dollars. I was just adding to my knowledge base as we all do.

I suppose now the next can of worms would be,  "did all A10's have a, "Made in England" sticker on the headstock? - the debate goes on.

Pirate.
The Pirate

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 14.04. 2015 18:50 »
regarding the rgs saga we have all seen replicas advertised at high prices  with iron heads standard full width hubs ect the let down is calling it a replica which is  an exact copy and clearly they are not an a10 cafe racer wont grab the same interest when you are looking to sell so yes its all about money

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 14.04. 2015 19:53 »
Which is why my bit of bling is a Rocket Gold Flash - no pretentions, it is what it is
All the best - Bill

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 01.05. 2015 11:49 »
and maybe Siamese pipes,

Anyone feel they can recommend a supplier for Siamese pipes for an A10 (alloy head of course)

I bought a set some years ago for the RGF but they don't fit, not sure which piece is incorrect but the small pipe is no where near large enough to fit in the hole in the large piece, trouble was I'd had them a couple of years before I got around to fit them (yep Ebay)
All the best - Bill

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #11 on: 01.05. 2015 12:12 »
Bill ,my set of Siamese pipes came from Roger at Cake St Classics, fitted 2001 good fit and chrome still good. Nice guy to deal with as well, take care Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #12 on: 02.05. 2015 09:06 »
Bill ,my set of Siamese pipes came from Roger at Cake St Classics, fitted 2001 good fit and chrome still good. Nice guy to deal with as well, take care Bob
I agree. I too bought a set from Roger. Good fit (no fettling required) Chrome is still pristine after 14 years, and have never discoloured. Also pipes are fitted with correct frame attachment lug.
John

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 02.05. 2015 10:32 »
Cheers guys
All the best - Bill