Author Topic: Normal OIL volume in SUMP/Crankcase  (Read 606 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Normal OIL volume in SUMP/Crankcase
« on: 10.04. 2015 16:44 »

If I'd've posted this a few hours ago, I would've been scathing  *sarcastic*and nasty >:D, but having stepped back,out and down the street and a feed,beer and settled myself, I can now be vaguely diplomatic.... *dunno*
 Something that is often stated is (and I've possibly said same myself), is "sorry for asking dumb questions, but..."
 Something that is also asked often, is "how much oil should there be in the sump"...... *whistle*

not a *problem*....I had a day off today (yesterday now) so after running an errant or two(as opposed to the usual 'errands'), to warm the engine, decided to change the engine oil.....
                        *beer* .............................*beer*
  Being my usual philanthropotic (yes I added a 'ot' ) self, I figured I'd collect and measure what came out of the sump just to give a reasonably decisive figure to answer this  *conf*....

All went well until I knocked the cup I collected the oil in, and some spilled on the floor *problem* *rant* *rant* *rant* *pull hair out*

*idea*...managed to scrape most up int the cup, so if anyone wants to calculate what's left on the floor, and add it to the pictures, go for it...should have a minimum of about 6oz/150ml, with a stock oil pump, maybe a touch more with a hi flow jobby....or else go for a ride and dump the sump oil soon after, measure it and note it for when you think you have a "WET SUMPING" ..... *ex*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Normal OIL volume in SUMP/Crankcase
« Reply #1 on: 10.04. 2015 17:26 »
Thanks for putting yourself through all that in aid of Forum information duTch

If you could just bear with us a little more we like to be enlightened as to the use of beetroot dip?
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 10.04. 2015 19:51 »
Ho I can't wait to see Dutchs reply to that  *beer*  cheers Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 10.04. 2015 22:00 »
And going by what else is in the cupboard he must have done the job in the kitchen or he has a well stocked larder in the shed for all night sessions.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 12.04. 2015 14:16 »

Ok, I may've been a bit harsh ( *rant*), but have to admit i was a fairly cranky case after that spill...!!!! But on a happy note, it all cleaned up ok with the trusty Orange squirt citrus oil degreaser

Good call Bill, I guess the possibilities could be many...i never even read that there, but I hear that cream is good for the skin, but you'd need to make a fair lot to have enough to take a dip in... *smile*

Can imagine you as a purple smurf..!!! *wink2*

...and thanks Musky, I wondered where I left that can 'o beans...!

Now just a little off topic, but kinda related or I might put this into Muskys Genny belt topic if I can find it....as part of the Oil exercise, I pulled the timing cover to fix the oil leak I created when I was checking my Synchroflex genny belt, and found a bit more metal belt swarf in the belt chamber, which I dug out with the 'trusty magnet on a wire stick'..(that's that pubic looking stuff on it in the piccie)
 Apart from minor concern of its existence, if anyone has a generator (dynamo)belt drive, just keep in mind that it could easily and maybe unnoticed drop into the oil pump chamber...

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia