Author Topic: Cheap chrono speedo.  (Read 726 times)

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Cheap chrono speedo.
« on: 14.04. 2015 14:49 »
Some time ago I purchased a speedo head on e-bay from India . Cost the ridiculous amount of £22.00 plus postage and once received had to be sent back has they'd supplied KM instead of MPH. Much to my surprise the correct head was returned along with a note apologising . Well I had an initial spurt to try to use it but being as duly reported by me here before I have the attention span of a demented goldfish the speedo lay neglected in a box .Until about a month ago where griped by the prospect of the permafrost finally receding this year ( ok bit of an exaggeration but it as been cold here on merseyside even our squirrels are still hiding there nuts if you follow my drift   *whistle*) Anyway a quick check spinning it and working out rotation of our g/box drive seemed to confirm what Musky had said some time ago ie that it would work. I set about sourcing a new cable. contacted Venhill engineering who confirmed that they could supply a cable with BSA at the g/box end and royal enfield at the other, just gave em a length and a week later I had a nice new cable which fitted .
Well last week was first run and due to the better half coming for a ride out with me didn't really take much notice of the speedo (sorry about that officer   *doh* ) apart from noting it was working ,stable and smooth operation etc. Obviously taking it easy has I'd not had a passenger on a bike for 40 yrs that was about the sum of my interest . However last night got another ride just to move but was able to look closely at the speedo and it wasn't miles out .I'd expected about 40% to 50 % error but I'd reckon only between 15-20% and I can live with that especially has the one fitted prev was a magnetic type and bounced so much it could have been a tacho! . 
So basically if you're looking for a cheaper way to get a bike on the road which was only awaiting a speedo to get it legal I suggest trying one of these . Total cost was approx. £70 even less if you sort the cable yourself and we all know the stupid prices of original chrono heads . Not for the rivet counters but each to there own and who knows if you really want a "proper" head you'll be able to ride to jumbles to find one, cheers Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Cheap chrono speedo.
« Reply #1 on: 14.04. 2015 21:17 »
G'day Bob.
Mine does waver a bit but not as much as the crono on the plunger.
How much was the cable? Price Vs my hours to make one, might go that way for the next one.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 14.04. 2015 22:17 »
Hi musky, £46 so with postage maybe a leap to far ,but a very good job, cheers bob
United Kingdom

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 15.04. 2015 10:16 »
oh forgot that included a spair inner cable, Bob
United Kingdom

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 15.04. 2015 20:56 »
Thanks for that very useful post Bob. I had been wondering about these having seen them on Ebay. I might be tempted now.

I did not have speedos for a couple of my bikes and didn't fancy taking out a mortgage to get a real reconditioned one. So I popped to Halfords and bought a bicycle speedo for about £14. Works great, is dead accurate (and you get a clock, stopwatch etc with it). Its small enough not to be too conspicuous and can be unclipped when you ark up.

Just one point Bob. Are you sure it is a legal requirement to have a speedo? You didn't need one for the MOT.
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 15.04. 2015 20:58 »
Ouch! Thanks Bob. So with postage that'd be 1/2 days pay at the salt mine.
Cheers.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 02.06. 2015 13:58 »
the india speedos...I have used 3 of them...and worked fine for me...  one was a bit wobbly...not wobbly enough to get a replacement
 better than I expected for a $25.00 aus item...I also bought their speedo drive and cable...

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 03.06. 2015 10:32 »
Strange this was posted now as I'd just been thinking how well this speedo had settled down. Seems to have got very smooth and as far as I can judge it as gotten more accurate certainly at lower speeds around 30 , so I agree for £29 ish pounds well worth it and all I really need is someone to tell me how to make it look more "old smiths " cheers Bob
United Kingdom

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 09.06. 2015 00:11 »
 I also have an Indian speedo, (which I haven't used yet), however, to make it look more original I have fitted it into a alloy cup which has been machined to length. I will either paint it black or maybe polish it for a difference
A mate of mine has used a tin cup he purchased from the local camping shop. Handle removed, machined off the top and set to length and painted black.
The depth is greater than an original Smith's but without a close look most wouldn't notice the difference.

1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia