Author Topic: A10 rear hub spindle unwinding  (Read 565 times)

Offline rwbeard

• Active
A10 rear hub spindle unwinding
« on: 27.04. 2015 16:22 »
Hello and good afternoon,

After nearly 2 years of fettling, I have finished a RGS copy /replica that I purchased which had been rebuilt from virtually all new parts.

The SRM engine runs beautifully, now I have mastered ignition timing and carb settings. I am surprised how quick it feels, this being my first British parallel twin.

However after a 10 mile run, the half hub rear wheel spindle comes loose by about 1 turn, despite being tightened hard on. This happens after every ride.

Have I missed the bleedin' obvious, or is there a well know cure? So as such, can anyone help and point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Bob

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: A10 rear hub spindle unwinding
« Reply #1 on: 27.04. 2015 22:21 »
I suppose it's the nut coming loose? If that's the case, you could maybe try a soft steel thick washer.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 27.04. 2015 23:23 »
Maybe try marking, on the left side of the bike, the position of the "Rear brake drum bearing sleeve" on the end of its stud and also mark the position of the "Rear hub spindle nut". On the right side, of course, mark the position of the "Rear hub spindle". If the bearing sleeve or nut change positions, then the problem would seem to be that the spindle nut wasn't tight enough and, therefore, neither was the bearing sleeve. In any case, when assembling, tightening the spindle nut comes first so that the bearing sleeve is anchored, then the spindle can be well tightened. Oh, and if this is so obvious as to be "teaching grandma to suck eggs" as is the expression, my apologies.  Maybe Morris has already hit it, but, on my bike (also an SA with a half-width drum), inserting a washer will leave the nut proud of the stud. Maybe no big deal.

Richard L.

Offline rwbeard

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 07.05. 2015 20:57 »
Firstly, many thanks for all those who responded to my post, which gave me inspiration as to how to solve my conundrum.

The problem of the unwinding and loose rear wheel spindle was to use a thin steel washer and locking washer. When the spindle is tightened up against the swinging arm it gains purchase and holds very tight.

It no longer loosens, so problem solved. OK it is not original, or text book as per the parts manual, but hey ho, it works!

Regards

Bob

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 07.05. 2015 21:08 »
OK it is not original, or text book as per the parts manual, but hey ho, it works!
Probably some factory bean counters who found that adding a washer was to expensive. Optimization is a word which already existed in the 50's...
I work for a large machine constructor. The stories I can tell you when it comes to pennysaving... *pull hair out*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 07.05. 2015 22:50 »
Couldn't be beaten by BSA Morris,bob