Author Topic: Looking for someone to build up my gearbox  (Read 1333 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Looking for someone to build up my gearbox
« Reply #15 on: 04.05. 2015 12:33 »

Yo Richard, reasonable call, I guess I got carried away with encouraging self help, and the assumption that he may have read Muskys wiki-links, as I did....but seems he's worked it out  :!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 04.05. 2015 14:08 »
Dutch,

Now that we've had this conversation, the next time I rebuild a gearbox I'm going to remember it (that is, the conversation) and go right to your advice about the thrust washer because I'm sure to have a period of confusion about it (that is, the thrust washer). Thanks, in advance.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 04.05. 2015 16:58 »

thanks, I'm not point scoring, just helping as I said, and hoping to not have boxes destroyed through misdemeanor- when I was cleaning up and resealing the box I'm currently using, I put the thrust washer in the wrong side, and found I had a very nasty noise (still on the bench), was then I researched it.
  Then last year at a swap meet, I picked up a box with broken mount lugs, and sounded ugly- but took it on because I could use the outer cover, and the case to stash a spare cluster. I discovered it full of grease, and the thrust washer on the outside, and four of the eight gears had broken teeth.....I think twelve teeth in total, would've otherwise been a good box....
 Having said all that, I stripped the original box I had that I'd grafted in close ratio gears, and somehow it withstood not having a thrust washer at all....!!!... now it does, but I won't get involved with that now.....cheers
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia