Author Topic: Clutch doesn't fully engage without a shove  (Read 832 times)

Offline CrispinA10

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 Super Rocket in RGS spec. 1965 Enfield GT
Clutch doesn't fully engage without a shove
« on: 04.05. 2015 10:59 »
Read through a good number of clutch threads but have failed to find solution to what I hope is a simple problem. Running in my 1960 RGS replica and all going well, apart from fact clutch has suddenly started playing up slightly. It was fine for first 100 miles or so but now when the lever is pulled in, all works as it should, but when released, it doesn't fully engage. I have to nudge the clutch lever with my knuckle to push it back. Once it's back, it runs nicely, with no slip or drag. Thought it might be cable routing, so tried a different way around and despite a smoother curve, there is no improvement. There is about a quarter inch on the brass arm to push back each time.
I can't believe the springs have weakened in 150 miles or so. Is there a simple adjustment?
I am waiting to hear back from the bloke who built the bike and at the moment do not know whether it is original BSA spring job or a four-spring replacement. I do have the Haynes manual if it is original.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Clutch doesn't fully engage without a shove
« Reply #1 on: 04.05. 2015 11:29 »
G'day Crispin.
Starting at the hand lever make sure it's free of any binding. Remove the cable from both ends and work the inner in and out, should be free and easy (lube it while it's off anyway). Now the g/box lever, has it any play in the cover? Next take off the little oval cover and inspect the push rod lever. It should be at 90 degrees to the rod at 1/2 lift. Inspect the condition of the push rod end for burring. With the p/r lever pulled right back you might be able to pull the rod out. If so check it's not bent.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.05. 2015 12:14 »

Mine's done that a few times, last week most recent. Turned out to be the lever pivot bolt tightens itself up- it's the type where the lever 'sandwiches' the bracket (top and bottom), a two second fix...?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 04.05. 2015 12:22 »
dont forget to grease the gearbox lever arm and check the inside adjusting nut isnt catching on the small gearbox cover. especially after adjustment

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 04.05. 2015 16:36 »
 I had a similar problem on my A65 turned out to be the cable nipple binding in the lever a little lubrication and problem solved.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline CrispinA10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 04.05. 2015 16:41 »
Right. I've checked the cable, which slides freely, greased the grease nipple on the clutch arm (and taken it off and bunged in extra grease just in case, and the brass arm is well lubed. The screw and bolt adjuster are up tight, although I haven't yet dared adjust it on the grounds that it was working fine two days ago and I don't yet know exactly what to adjust (picture attached, although I'm sure everyone is more than familiar with what lies behind the oval cover). Nothing is fouling on the cover. I can see the push rod and there's nothing fouling. Could it have worn significantly in 150 miles?
What's the lever pivot bolt? I like the possibility of a two second fix and am hopeful. How do I get to it?
Having greased everything up, the problem seems fractionally worse, so I am hoping it is something tightening itself up/slackening itself off...

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #6 on: 04.05. 2015 18:25 »
What's the lever pivot bolt?
Handle bar clutch lever.  The retaining bolt that passes through the handle bar lever. If the bolt is to tight it will crush the lever causing it to bind. Try loosening it up a little bit. Almost certainley that will be where your problem originates from.
John

Offline CrispinA10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 04.05. 2015 20:16 »
Sadly, that is not tight at all. Silky smooth. That would have been wonderful!
 I did take up a little slack on it last week and am now wondering whether I overdid it - I see the Haynes advice is to leave 1/16th I can't swear it was that much. If I did overadjust, could that wear the pushrod that much in a few miles, or is there a way of adjusting?
Is there a quick way of finding whether I have a six spring or four spring, or do I have to start taking it apart? I believe the pushrods are different lengths.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 04.05. 2015 20:23 »
hi crispin, as you have checked everything is free the cable and levers side you may have to check the clutch pushrod for binding. if its sliding free the last option must be to check the clutch nut isnt loose. obviously only take the clutch apart when you have convinced yourself its nothing more simple such as the clutch lever pivot bolt. was the clutch rebuilt 150 miles ago? i wonder if the clutch nut has come loose allowing extra play at the lever which has happened to me a few times in the past.

Offline derek taylor

• A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #9 on: 04.05. 2015 20:42 »
i had a problem like this after building mine up, could not sus it so took it to bits again found nothing wrong that i could see,
so put it back together again and it worked perfect?

Offline CrispinA10

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 05.05. 2015 11:13 »
HA! I am an idiot. I did check the lever movement as suggested by Dutch and while my description as "silky smooth" was technically accurate inasmuch as it seemed to pull and return without binding, I have just applied half a turn of a screwdriver to the pivit screw and POING - the clutch lever returned of its own accord seemingly and now works like a well oiled, er, clutch.
Next time check a suggestion fully rather than thinking, "nope, that feels smooth" and starting to panic about the need for a new push rod, new SRM clutch etc.
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions - and thank goodness it was the quickest, easiest and cost-free solution.
Dutch - a million thanks and apologies for not actually using a screwdriver straight away as suggested.
Were it not for the 60mph winds and lashing rain I'd be out for a spin straight away, it being my day off, but might be wise to stay in the shed admiring the clutch (and using RGS Bill's simple suggestion for working out whether it is four or six spring).
Many thanks to everyone.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 05.05. 2015 12:54 »

*wink2*
   If mine hadn't done it so recently, I would've forgotten it'd done it before, and not be able to pass it on...and likely to do it again and I'll scratch my head and wonder wtf (as I did)- note to self, try and see if another locknut will help to stop it happening
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia