Author Topic: What? Out of petrol? Consumption concern.  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: What? Out of petrol? Consumption concern.
« Reply #30 on: 15.05. 2015 09:02 »
Personally I'm struggling to accept you're getting the bad figures you have indicated whilst the bike still seems to be running about OK. I think a brim to brim test of maybe around 50 miles should show different. If that shows you getting somewhere between 45 - 60 UK galleons (yeah - I know) then you're about in the ball park.

I believe there is a Walter Matthau film where he screwed a neighbour around with the fuel consumption of his VW Beetle (bug over there?). Maybe you have a similar situation going on?   
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #31 on: 15.05. 2015 11:07 »
I've been caught out by that duTch. Forgot I siphoned out a few liters for another bike *bash*. The main tap was taking fuel from under the tube. Switched to reserve and still had no fuel. 1/2 mile from home. *pull hair out*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 15.05. 2015 15:07 »

Switched to reserve and still had no fuel. 1/2 mile from home. *pull hair out*

Can't say I'm innocent either...in fact last week I rode to a job (on the Moto), and went on reserve in transit the day before, so added a litre from a can, intending to fill up but then forgot- two trips later, I remembered and ran out in the servo driveway- took 23.5 litres....might have to pack an extra oily rag *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline CrispinA10

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 Super Rocket in RGS spec. 1965 Enfield GT
« Reply #33 on: 16.05. 2015 11:26 »
True  - I'll experiment when I ride over to the Faversham Transport Festival tomorrow and make a 50 mile loop.

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #34 on: 16.05. 2015 11:48 »
I have a round toolbox bag at the rear of my bike fitted by the previous owner and I thought that's still too small for some proper tools so I could use it for something else.
found this 1L bottle that fits perfectly, so now I have an "extra reserve"  ;)
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline CrispinA10

• A's Good Friend
  • 1960 Super Rocket in RGS spec. 1965 Enfield GT
« Reply #35 on: 18.05. 2015 19:51 »
Right. Cue X-file music or something similarly spooky. Did indeed do a 50 mile spin yesterday having topped up. Topped up again on 51 miles - and it took less than a gallon (8 UK pints). What? Eh?
There are several mentions on this thread already about people being daft enough to forget they have siphoned a couple of pints out/ forgotten to fill up etc and I have a feeling I might have just joined their ranks. Clearly the consumption can't suddenly improve that dramatically (although I had reset the air screw, the horizontal one, as advised, last week).
Damn and blind. Surely when I picked the bike up from Dover with half a gallon in the tank and stopped to fill the tank, I did actually fill the tank? I'm beginning to doubt my recollection, but I could have sworn I filled almost to the top. I am now of an age when I sometimes forget why I have gone into the greenhouse, so it is is just possible I bunged in two gallons and overcome by the excitement of a blat up the A2 on my new pride and joy convinced myself it was a full tank.
Whatever, there has been some seriously useful discussion - just hope I haven't wasted everyone's time. I'm going to keep careful notes on how much I get out of this tank *conf*

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #36 on: 19.05. 2015 10:27 »
Are you growing a little A10 in the green house ,if so how's it coming on !!  *smile*Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 19.05. 2015 10:44 »
I still think you need to watch out for some prankster working up on the reverse of the approach in this film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_'n'_Tillie

Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #38 on: 21.07. 2015 16:34 »
Crispin.

I see your only a few miles away from me I am at Swalecliffe, interesting post, you say you do not move the advance retard lever but I think you should, normally on running in you normally run it in in slightly retarded to help with wearing in, I would try advancing it a bit more.  I know that my petrol consumption is high at the moment, I think I will have to try reducing the main jet size, I am running an A10 Golden Flash 1957 plunger with a concentric R928.

TTJohn

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #39 on: 03.08. 2015 15:38 »
For those of you using Concentrics, what size mainjets are working well ? (low elevation riding, 9 to one  LSR)

Glen

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
What? Out of petrol? Consumption concern.
« Reply #40 on: 20.09. 2019 08:50 »
I realise this is an old thread... I have the same questions.. I've just switched to a 376 on my gold flash - it had a 389 on before and I thought was delivering terrible fuel consumption - something like 23 mpg.. However now the figures seem only slightly better. Leaks aside, I suspect my odometer is telling lies..
Guy