Author Topic: Removing short spindle Q. D Hub  (Read 415 times)

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
Removing short spindle Q. D Hub
« on: 11.05. 2015 10:22 »
G'day all,

I need to remove the short spindle from my 51 Plunger Q.D Hub as the thread needs some attention on the lathe.  I have dis-assembled the hub and given the spindle a whack with a hammer and some, not too much, pressure with a press but to no avail.  I assumed it would knock out but am I missing something? I have researched the forum but haven't been able to find the answer.

Thanks Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Removing short spindle Q. D Hub
« Reply #1 on: 11.05. 2015 11:05 »

Not quite sure what you mean Russ- do you mean the stub that goes through the chainwheel/brake drum bearing, and that the main axle passes through...we are talking Plunger, hey?
 If I assume so, I'll also assume you pressed on it with a nut on it and some kind of mandril- like a big bolt(was thinking the axle reversed, but that wouldn't fit..!)..? Only thing I can think of, (if it's what I'm thinking), is the stub may have 'welded' itself to the bearing- try soaking it in ATF and acetone...or heat the bearing... *????* Did you remove the bearing circlip, and bearing from the brake drum/chainwheel ?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 11.05. 2015 11:19 »
Hi duTch

Yes that's the one. No I haven't removed the bearing circlip and bearing from the brake drum. Just attempted to knock spindle out assuming the bearing would remain in place in the brake drum.
Didn't intend to do too much until I got some feed-back from the forum.  Do I need to remove the bearing from the drum in order to remove the spindle?

Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.05. 2015 12:33 »

Not necessarily, in fact shouldn't have to at all- depends how tight/seized it is. It may be easier though (or not) but if you have a sleeve or something close to the OD of the bearing to support it, so as to not risk any manglement of the circlip groove, and/or the bearing housing would be good, and like I suggested put the nut on and use a bolt or stepped drift to press it out with. I reckon it's not a bad idea to occasionally dismember some things just so they don't seize in...within reason,-just don't go too berserk- but I reckon that one good whack with a 10 pounder (and the right safeguards) is better than a million taps with a pussy 1 pounder, but a controlled press would be better  *conf*

I'm sure others will maybe have better ideas...??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Russ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 11.05. 2015 12:38 »
Thanks Dutch,

I'll attack it tomorrow with confidence, and a big hammer.

Cheers Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia