Author Topic: Solid copper rocker box gaskets  (Read 3659 times)

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
Solid copper rocker box gaskets
« on: 12.05. 2015 09:22 »
I have got fed up with the rocker box leaking all the time, so I have done something about it, I have had a load of solid copper gaskets lazer cut out of C106 soft copper 0.07 mm thick, I have fitted a set to my A10 and hey presto no leaks, not only that but I found they were much easier to fit than the normal gaskets.
If anyone would like a set, they are now for sale at £17-50 per set inclusive of p&p to the U.K.
Please contact me for more details.

Kind regards TTJohn

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
Re: Solid copper rocker box gaskets
« Reply #1 on: 13.05. 2015 03:01 »
I bought a set on EBAY last year.  They are 0.7 mm thick.  I haven't had a chance to install them, as the paper gaskets have been well behaved (so far).

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #2 on: 13.05. 2015 14:51 »
Beeing a bit too lazy to look in the Haynes or search the forum, is it a big job to change these gaskets?
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 13.05. 2015 15:16 »
Hello Johny.

It's not too bad a job, the only problem is trying to get the push rods in place but I have found it a lot easier to pop them in if at first you get all the rod level, instead of one sticking up etc.

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 18.05. 2015 19:09 »
pushrods are not a problem if you have the tool to hold them in place

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #5 on: 18.05. 2015 20:55 »
Yes, have that tool, thanks!
   Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 08.06. 2015 00:54 »
TT John

Thanks very much for the gaskets BTW i have not fitted them yet but I will over the next couple of weeks

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #7 on: 14.06. 2015 22:17 »
I've been waiting for the opportunity to install these copper rocker box gaskets, so after recently installing a fresh cylinder head, and                     re-torquing after 50 and 500 miles and all the rocker box removing and re-installing that goes along with it using normal gaskets, I thought it was time to cure this darn leaky rocker box problem once and for all, so after the last re torquing I put on the copper gaskets, after commandeering my wife' jewelry electric furnace, and annealing them as per installation instructions. With great anticipation I took my Super Rocket out for a 50 mile ride. It leaked much worse than the normal gaskets, at least with the regular ones it didn't leak for a while.
This was very disappointing, but I thought perhaps after everything had heated up and cooled down, I could check the tightness of all the rocker box bolts and nuts, and I did find that a couple of them could be snugged up a bit more, so I cleaned off all the oil. and took her out again today, about 25 miles. It still leaks just as bad, so I suppose I'll be going back to the normal gasket material.
Does anyone else have any positive experiences with the copper gaskets?

'54 GF,  '61 SR

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 15.06. 2015 02:44 »
I've been going through the Head Re-torquing business lately as well.  The paper gaskets worked fine for me.  I had purchased a set of Copper gaskets last year.  I finally tore one of the paper gaskets, so I decided to try the copper.  I annealed all three pieces, I even put a coating of the Permatex spray copper on both sides.  I went out for 20 mile jaunt and they are leaking everywhere.  The bolts are all tight, so I'll be going back to the paper gaskets as well.  I never had a problem with them, just the constant on and off of the rocker box had taken it's toll.

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 15.06. 2015 07:41 »
Copper gaskets worked for me, they cured my bike of leaks. I used Copper Gaskets from the USA, annealed them, used low modulus silicone sealant neutral cure, which was applied to both sides and left for 24hrs before reassembling. My opinion is the paper gasket gets damaged during the rocker assembly procedure and fight, using the combe may well be the culprit.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 15.06. 2015 20:35 »
You have to make sure the mating faces have no high spots, particularly around studs where the metal may have been pulled up above the surrounding area. Removing any studs and filing with a smooth file lightly held in place to bear on opposite surfaces at the same time seems to work. I don't know if this stuff is only available in the UK but I always use Blue Hylomar gasket compound http://goo.gl/f1FxdS. I have paper gaskets and my rocker box doesn't leak.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 15.06. 2015 23:53 »
Further to Greybeard's good advice, I lap all the surfaces: wet & dry on a sheet of glass. Also do the rocker cover surfaces on the rocker box, and the rocker covers themselves.

If you are refurbishing the head, and have removed the guides, you can then lap the head surfaces as well.

Richard

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 16.06. 2015 14:10 »
I've been going through the Head Re-torquing business lately as well.  The paper gaskets worked fine for me.  I had purchased a set of Copper gaskets last year.  I finally tore one of the paper gaskets, so I decided to try the copper.  I annealed all three pieces, I even put a coating of the Permatex spray copper on both sides.  I went out for 20 mile jaunt and they are leaking everywhere.  The bolts are all tight, so I'll be going back to the paper gaskets as well.  I never had a problem with them, just the constant on and off of the rocker box had taken it's toll.

The copper gaskets that I have made are made with C106 soft copper and so do not need annealing, all I did when fitting ws put a smear of grease on one side, to stop them slipping about when I fitted the rocker box, once done, I took the old girl out for a spin, and like you I got oil al over the place, then I discovered that the feed pipe union nut to the rockers was loose, once that was retightened all was okay.
Were the gaskets you used, some of mine or did you get them from someone else? I'd like to think that mine are of real good quality and would like any feed back from anyone that has fitted the ones from me.

Kind regards TTJohn *smile*

Offline Clive54bsa

• A's Good Friend
  • Orange SoCal
« Reply #13 on: 16.06. 2015 14:53 »
TT John, I purchased them on Ebay from coppergaskets63 located in Arizona, after receiving them I contacted him and asked about annealing them and was told that it was recommended.I installed them with Permatex Ultra Grey sealer on both sides. Maybe I'll just buy a sheet of gasket material and make my own, I have friends who own British bikes that do that quite successfully.

'54 GF,  '61 SR

Offline East_Coast_BSA

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 16.06. 2015 15:57 »

The copper gaskets that I have made are made with C106 soft copper and so do not need annealing, all I did when fitting ws put a smear of grease on one side, to stop them slipping about when I fitted the rocker box, once done, I took the old girl out for a spin, and like you I got oil al over the place, then I discovered that the feed pipe union nut to the rockers was loose, once that was retightened all was okay.
Were the gaskets you used, some of mine or did you get them from someone else? I'd like to think that mine are of real good quality and would like any feed back from anyone that has fitted the ones from me.

Kind regards TTJohn *smile*

I bought them on EBAY over a year ago, so I don't remember who the seller was.  I'm guessing that I bought them domestically.   These are weeping oil pretty much around the entire perimeter of the box.  I'm not going to slather them with sealant, I'm just going to change them out.  The plain paper gaskets worked fine before.