Author Topic: Two primary questions (easy for the ones who know)  (Read 752 times)

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
Hello;

1) will the inner primary cover pass over a standard primary sprocket?
2) If someone by mistake placed the kickstart ratchet washer inboard of the inner gearbox cover, would this be a likely cause of shifting clonks?

Cheers, Otto
Otto in Denmark

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Two primary questions (easy for the ones who know)
« Reply #1 on: 15.05. 2015 20:17 »
G'day Otto.
1 ) I think so.
2 ) I'm surprised the inner cover went on all the way if that washer was on the inside. If you suspect it, remove the inner cover and check.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 15.05. 2015 21:31 »
2 ) I'm surprised the inner cover went on all the way if that washer was on the inside. If you suspect it, remove the inner cover and check.

...and if you go in there, check the thrust washer on the layshaft is inboard of first gear, ID chamfer against spline. If it's in the wrong place, it'll probably rattle, and teeth can be lost
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #3 on: 18.05. 2015 11:35 »
The thrust washer was in the right position, but chamfer turned the wrong way around. Is the chamfer there to let the second gear pinion have that little extra travel?
Otto in Denmark

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 19.05. 2015 04:39 »
 I fixed a typo...
is inboard of first gear ID, chamfer against spline
, the comma in the wrong place maybe changed the meaning somewhat- sorry...

I'm no gearbox expert, and don't profess to be, just know what I've learned from my own misgivings...anyone can add their bits if I'm wrong.

Is the chamfer there to let the second gear pinion have that little extra travel?

..not quite sure what you mean, but I'd say it'd have marginally less travel, and as far as I'm aware the chamfer/bevel is just a relief to allow the T/washer to butt up to and seat square against the spline, to allow ideal end float for the first idler gear and allow it to engage the right amount with sliding 3rd ? gear(fairly sure)....and the thrust washer is in that position (inboard) so some gears don't mesh when they're not supposed to and go bang...
 The second and third sliding gears obviously move together, but on each shaft independently- but you may be aware of most of that! ... ...whew...

disclaimer- "by my understanding of events'
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia