Author Topic: Severe Knocking - A10 Road Rocket  (Read 7246 times)

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
Re: Severe Knocking - A10 Road Rocket
« Reply #15 on: 20.05. 2015 11:58 »
Hi bsa-bill,

Thanks for your input, lordy lord...I wasn't aware there was a sleeve that sits on the crank, I removed the primary side locking nut, large spring, engine sprocket locator bush type thing and the engine sprocket itself. Does the whole assembly also sit on another sleeve?

Regards
Bruce
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 20.05. 2015 12:42 »
Hi Brucie
I refer to part 67- 1134 in the pic as the sleeve, maybe it's what you term the engine sprocket locator bush type thing in which case you have it off

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 20.05. 2015 13:01 »
Hi bsa-bill,

Nope, looking at your diagram I am now thinking I may have left the sleeve on when attempting to wiggle the crankshaft up and down, I can't remember taking it off (there's old age for you).

The "engine sprocket locator bush type thing" I was referring to was actually 66-1135, I just couldn't remember its correct name.

I will check tonight when I get home from work for sure and report back, lets hope the sleeve is still on and I don't have a drive bearing issue after all.

Thanks again for all your help, most appreciated.

Regards
Brucie
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 20.05. 2015 14:34 »

I also had a thought earlier, if you ccrank nut (67-1137) was done up tight-tight...?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 20.05. 2015 14:45 »
Hi duTch

No it wasn't done up particularly tight to be honest, it obviously wouldn't have come off due to the split pin though. It shall be a bit tighter when I put it all back together again. What's your thoughts on this?

Cheers
Brucie
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 20.05. 2015 20:18 »

Is there any gouges in the chaincase outer? If it's been loose, it'll try and machine its way to freedom and make a racket
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #21 on: 20.05. 2015 21:23 »
That might be the problem. If the nut wasn't tight end float would be compromised and get louder the "less tight" it becomes. The nut should be tightened to 65ft/lb = tiger tight. Do it up and check it all again (easier if you leave the spring off to check it all).
Cheers 
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 20.05. 2015 21:37 »
Brucie:

It seems that there is a lot of dancing around the very real possibility that what you have is a spun rod bearing. Here is a link to a video I sent off to SRM asking about a noise in my engine back in 2007, I think.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9grUuIEzM0

What SRM said was: "Don't start it again, it needs to come apart." What I found was a spun bearing which I have come to blame on not having cleaned out my sludge trap before rebuilding the engine. Everything I know I learned by doing wrong, twice.  *doh*

As a side note, the Jaguar that I briefly mention in the video was sold off so I would have room to rebuild my engine a second time (and also because I had had it for 25 years with very little progress since installing the Chevy engine).

Richard L.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 20.05. 2015 21:43 »
Let me add, I completely support and understand the idea of ruling out everything else possible before splitting the cases.

Richard L.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 20.05. 2015 22:12 »
I guess the big ends need a look see now.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #25 on: 21.05. 2015 11:06 »
I watched the video and kept shouting at the screen, STOP, STOP *ex*.
Trying to diagnose a noise that we can't hear, half way round the world is a challenge.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 21.05. 2015 12:30 »
Let me add, I completely support and understand the idea of ruling out everything else possible before splitting the cases.

Richard L.

By chance, and as an aside – my pal is bidding on a Moto Guzzi V50 on ebay at the moment. The bike is a mk III but with a mk II engine, and in a separate sale the vendor has listed a working mk III engine. Story is that the original bike started making some ‘orrible clattering noises and so he sourced and fitted a  good second hand engine. The noise persisted and was the found to be due to loose bolts in the rear drive box. So not directly relevant in this instance, but a good pointer to getting a reasonable diagnosis before going too mad.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #27 on: 21.05. 2015 12:49 »
Only goes to show "Never assume - it will make an ASS out of U and ME..... but how often do I forget this simply adage, Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 21.05. 2015 14:11 »
I watched the video and kept shouting at the screen, STOP, STOP *ex*.
Trying to diagnose a noise that we can't hear, half way round the world is a challenge.
Cheers

B,b,but, there IS audio on the recording and some obvious clanking that turned out to be something serious, as SRM apparently perceived. I like to think they have/had heard many A10 engines in trouble with similar sounds. I DON'T' like think, nor do I believe, that SRM was just trying to assure that I would buy a new gasket set from them. The bigger issue, I tink, is that we don't have a recording of Brucie's noises. It is going to be interesting whe Brucie unearths the actual problem.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 21.05. 2015 21:24 »

I had another thought too, that due to  the loose nut, the cush cams wouldn't have the necessary tension on them and so they could be slapping against each other...to add to the effects of the escape plan... *eek*
 I had a busted spring last year, and it was doing something weird but I can't remember what, but it made me investigate.
Thing is, I don't like the replacement spring- it's a few mm shorter than the old one and also ~3mm larger diameter, both of which have reduced the pre-load, so sometimes when I startup, there's a bit of clunking going on that I attribute to same lack of correct pre-load....
Australia