Author Topic: Severe Knocking - A10 Road Rocket  (Read 7135 times)

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
Re: Severe Knocking - A10 Road Rocket
« Reply #45 on: 24.05. 2015 23:27 »
OK Guys,

I guess its head off tomorrow to have a wee gander at the valves etc, and of course remove the sump plate to see if anything untoward drops out.

Onwards and Upwards

Brucie
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #46 on: 25.05. 2015 00:04 »
Sounds like big ends to me incidentally you can pull off the head and barrels in one lump if you go careful

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #47 on: 25.05. 2015 01:55 »
... you can pull off the head and barrels in one lump if you go careful

Wow, that seems weird. Is there a real advantage to this, as if pushrods are not tricky enough?

Richard L.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #48 on: 25.05. 2015 09:29 »
Yes but don't try to put them back on that way *ex*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #49 on: 25.05. 2015 13:08 »
Hi Guys,

Well finally got the head off and think I might have found the reason for my clonking noise. Looks to me as though the L/H inlet valve has been catching the top of the piston for some reason, could this be the reason perhaps for the LH exhaust pipe discolouration shown in a previous photo?. Any ideas as to what can cause the valve to catch the piston?. I guess I will be needing to take the valves out and have a closer look there.

Also I noticed the LH piston doesn't sit as high in the barrel as the RH side, is this normal or something that I should be worried about?.

I turned the motor over and there doesn't seem to be any undue noises as the pistons go up and down so I am hoping there isn't anything sinister going on down below. I will still take the sump plate off and have a gander as to what if anything falls out.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #50 on: 25.05. 2015 13:59 »
I'm now worried  *eek*. Uneven piston height is a real worry. Is it opposite at the bottom of stroke?
 *sad2*
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #51 on: 25.05. 2015 14:06 »
Brucie,

Yes, you will need to take out at least that one valve to see if now has its own problems (I doubt it is the original problem, based on the position of the piston). I am sorry to say it looks like a serious bearing or rod problem, or both. PLEASE next pull those barrels so that we can stop biting our nails over what's really going on and so that you can start the process of getting back up on it and enjoying the wind.

Richard L.

PS - I saw that Muskrat had posted similar concern just before me.

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #52 on: 25.05. 2015 14:52 »
Hi RichardL & Muskrat,

Well just dropped the sump plate and was shocked at what I found, best guess is as you say I have a serious bearing problem. Anyone know of a reputable/conscientious engine re-builder in the UK who doesn't cost an arm & a leg (like SRM) but will do a good job a the same time, I think I need to pay them a visit  *sad2*

Regards
Brucie
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #53 on: 25.05. 2015 15:03 »
sorry to see all that Brucie  *cry*
 It's possible the valve kissing the pistons is as a result of the piston following through a bit due to it not having much of a bearing to stop it. and not due to it being bent  (although it probably might be bent now)

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #54 on: 25.05. 2015 16:31 »
Brucie,

Very sorry to see that, but not unexpected. Once you rule out SRM due to price, then I think your locale in the UK comes into play regarding where to send the engine. Our UK members will have good advice for where to try around a general region. So, you might want to tell us the genera region.

Richard L.

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #55 on: 25.05. 2015 16:31 »
Hi Bsa-Bill,

I agree, however I think a bent valve might be the least of my problems, bigger fish to fry downstairs.

Regards
Brucie
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #56 on: 25.05. 2015 16:33 »
...bigger fish to fry downstairs.

Like a school of great whites.

EDIT

I can't help but wonder how so much material got out from around the rod and cap. Maybe the rod nuts loosened up and backed off.

By the way, you've delved into the rocker box and head, what makes you think you can't rebuild it yourself with machining done on the outside?

Richard L.

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #57 on: 25.05. 2015 16:33 »
Hi RichardL,

Sorry thought I mentioned it earlier, I am in South Bucks near Oxford.

Regards
Brucie
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #58 on: 25.05. 2015 16:44 »
Others will have their favorites with whom they have good experience. I am in no way suggesting to discount their advice. I happen to have met Andrew at Leigh Classics at Leigh on Sea (leighclassics.com) and was impressed by his work and operation. I have bought some parts from them over the years. Others here will also be sick of hearing me say to give Andrew regards rom Richard in Chicago.

Richard L.

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #59 on: 25.05. 2015 16:51 »
Hi RichardL,

Thanks for the heads up in regards to leighclassics, I think I have bought some bits from them in the past, certainly looks professional enough.

I have just found another recommendation given to me a year or so ago (http://www.vintage-engine.net/), this is just up the road from me so may put them on my shortlist.

Regards
Brucie
Bruce
Spitfire
UK