Author Topic: Installing stub axle in drum bearing, Q.D. wheel  (Read 337 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Finally found/acquired a complete rear axle assembly for the RGS (traded an extra steering stem/top clamp). I assume I have to press the short stub into the drum bearing, but measuring both I'm guessing it's way too tight. A quick measurement before cleaning the inner race to get a good measurement indicated the axle diameter is about .010" larger than the bearing i.d. Seems to me that it should only be about .002-.003" so that with the bearing heated and the stub frozen it should press in easily. It's been way too long since I studied physics/chemistry/calculus for me to do the calculations. Any thoughts on what range of interference fit I should have before pressing it in?

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Installing stub axle in drum bearing, Q.D. wheel
« Reply #1 on: 17.05. 2015 16:25 »
Even if you could get the stub axle into the bearing by thermal and brute force means, I would think the bearing would be no good after that.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.05. 2015 17:20 »

Is it a chainwheel with a bolt-on sprocket...?

I had that problem,, seemed like a good idea at the time, but I didn't know came from a A65/50, they have a different size bearing, and more...!

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 17.05. 2015 18:33 »
Not a bolt-on sprocket. My thinking is that you want an interference fit so that bearing inner race does not spin on the axle and ruin it, so tight is good, but not too tight.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 17.05. 2015 21:05 »
No interference just a good snug fit. The inner race should be clamped when it's all together and done up.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 19.05. 2015 13:59 »
Got it. Looked like nice new parts. Took a bit of 400 emory cloth to it and found they actually had a very thin coat of paint. Got that off, and presto, it fit. I'll have to contact seller and find out what kind of  paint that is, as it's  very nice looking, thin, and tough. Thought it was complete, but need to  make a spacer for between swingarm and wheel (right side). That's an easy one.