Author Topic: Lucas AB11 Electronic ignition  (Read 2455 times)

Offline v8ivor

• A's Good Friend
Lucas AB11 Electronic ignition
« on: 20.05. 2015 23:34 »
Hi again,
I have found an amplifier and an electronic pickup to replace the magneto in the basket case that I am trying to rebuild. The amp has "Case must be ........ " on the side, and I'm wondering if the missing word is "Earthed" ? I can only find a faint wiring diagram and it's not clear if the Black wire from the amp goes to the feed from the ignition switch or a cut out switch. It also shows two diodes between the amp and coils but does anyone know what diodes ? Finally, do I need two coils ?

Offline dynodave

• crew chief
  • Moving Up
    • AGTS
Re: Lucas AB11 Electronic ignition
« Reply #1 on: 21.05. 2015 19:07 »
On the early amps, the ones with a varistor in them (pop riveted to the case) the case must be grounded. The later ones W/O varistor still had the label, but in fact did not not need to be grounded. The saftey over voltage function was contained in the newer out put transistor,,,,the one you can not get anymore and therefore caused the end of production.
It will be a bit tougher to get it going on 6V.
 12V will work with 2-6v coils in series like late commando,
dynodave
61 Gold Flash  63 Super Rocket  63 RGS (kit)

Offline v8ivor

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 22.05. 2015 08:08 »
Thanks Dave, It looks like the later amp because there is nothing riveted on to it. I have a White/orange and a White/purple wire from the amp to the electronic pick up. A black wire that looks like it was earthed (It has a nut & bolt terminal on it ). This leaves a White/Black and a White/Yellow wire, so do you know if I should put these to the coil and if so what wire goes to what terminal and does one of them join up with an ignition switch live ? I was thinking of using a Harley coil that has to HT leads.

Offline bob flashman

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 22.05. 2015 17:16 »
Hi i have a wiring diagram for a Rita Amplifier Type AB11 this system can be pos+ or neg- earth. My diagram shows that the unit must be earthed through the bolt hole that holds the unit to the bike,I'll try and photo the diagram The black wire is live not earth.If you type in Mistral Engineering on your lap top i got the diagram for this to come up but this was a while ago so i don't know if it still viable.Hope this helps   *????* Bob.

Offline bob flashman

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 22.05. 2015 17:20 »
Ps you are right it do's say on the case that it must be earthed.

Offline bob flashman

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 22.05. 2015 17:30 »
Just had a look on the web and you need to go to Mistral Engineering British and it shows you what you need.Also how to set it all up. It must be 12volts.

Offline v8ivor

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 22.05. 2015 19:43 »
WOW ! Thanks Bob !
I found the info and printed it off. Did they make a 12v E3L ? And they show a diode pair on the diagram, but have you got any idea where I could get such a thing ?
Ivor.

Offline bob flashman

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 23.05. 2015 13:21 »
Hi Ivor my diagram do's not show the diode. as i think mine is a original copy. the E3L dynamo can be made to deliver 12 volts but a lot of people us a i think it's a DVR2 but check from the other members some body will no.Bob. *smile*

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 23.05. 2015 15:01 »
The 6V dynamo can charge at 12V, but I think you'll have problems on a road bike with a dynamo and a RITA ignition. It uses quite a lot of power.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 23.05. 2015 22:45 »
TT is right, trying to run two coils on an E3L converted to 12v will end in thrown solder. Even with a rewind.

Offline v8ivor

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 24.05. 2015 09:01 »
Thankyou very much for all your help.
I have to stop now and consider my options. The DVR2 that Bob told me about, certainly has some interesting claims. I was told by a stall holder at Kempton park bike jumble yesterday to "Throw the Lucas ignition away " And buy a new system 6 or 12 volt. Also, I have not got a E3L, I have an E3L case with a straight shaft (Sprocket one end and Pulley the other ) that drives a car type alternator, mounted in front of the frame. The only similar set-up that I have seen is in  the BSA book by Roy Bacon. Actually I have a stock frame and everything else was stripped from a 1970's chopper (That's how I bought it ) So I am building a bobber with what I have, and realistically it will not be an everyday ride or used allot at night.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 24.05. 2015 10:12 »
A working RITA is not something to throw away.

With a good 12V battery and alternator, it should serve you as well as or better than the modern systems the Kempton hawker was trying to make money by selling you.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 24.05. 2015 11:01 »

Ivor, we had a chitchat a while ago about adapting some kind of alternator in there....if you feel like searching maybe 'Kubota'...?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia