Author Topic: Nothing to do with motorcycles, but.....#2  (Read 817 times)

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
Re: Nothing to do with motorcycles, but.....#2
« Reply #15 on: 26.06. 2015 19:03 »
vulcan flys over scarborough 1-20pm for the last time sat 27 june armed forces day

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 26.06. 2015 20:27 »
think that was the fisheries protection ships for a nearby Island, anyway maybe it did give Argentine the idea we were not interested or could have been the fact Thatcher tried to sell or at least lease the Islands back to Argentine two years previous.
Go on tell me I'm a sceptical old f***
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 26.06. 2015 21:36 »
Bill,

I've run your last post through Google translator  *smile* and still don't understand what you're getting at. Could you explain. please?

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 26.06. 2015 22:14 »
Could you explain. please?

oops nimrods post intervened as I was replying to cyclobutch 's
I thought it was partly due to an announcement back then that we were parking them all up that led to the Argentine incursion anyway?
reference to Avro Vulcans last flight

I'll say no more as I think we're surely verging the edge of subject tolerance *whistle*
and my remark could be construed as a tad political (although intended as an observation rather than a condemnation)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 26.06. 2015 22:55 »
I get it. You are suggesting that the Argentines may have inferred weakness by the appearance that Vulcans had been parked or laid up, or the like. I guess they were wrong.

OK, I can get off it if it truly is off-topic of "nothing to do with motorcycles".

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 29.06. 2015 11:48 »
I think that as much as anything it sat between political issues in both the UK and the Argentine. It might be postulated that the Argentines wanted to divert public opinion from economic issues at home, and there was a perceived view of weakness in the UK’s resolve to hang on to things out that way. Then as they moved in it was a good ‘excuse’ for the UK government to display due purpose of mind to react and subsequently make themselves electable again. Ultimately a sad and sorry business all round that people died for.

Accepted this is a sensitive subject and the above is only my view/understanding. No intention here at all to cause upset. 
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline larryc

• A's Best Friend
  • Back into BSA after 45 years!
« Reply #21 on: 29.06. 2015 15:09 »
I remember seeing my one and only Vulcan which did a fly-by at an event in the local park, we were on a hillside a mile or so from the park so the plane was quite low, then it lifted it's nose and hit the afterburners...... It rattled our teeth it was so loud.... a sight never to forget.

mucky hands again, great!

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 29.06. 2015 15:24 »
The last one that's doing the rounds before retirement flew over our place Saturday and I missed it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
All the best - Bill

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 29.06. 2015 15:27 »
Get yourself over to Fairford for the International Air Tattoo 18th & 19th July

http://www.airtattoo.com/