Author Topic: rocker feed  (Read 1251 times)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
rocker feed
« on: 29.05. 2015 13:30 »
anyone know what is the correct size of the copper pipe to the rockers, mine measures 4.7 ish mm but maybe it's an imperial size or just worn a bit.
Mine is a little short, requires a bit too much rubber pipe to connect it, I'll replace it with a longer piece or replace the rubber with some clear reinforced plastic, tho I prefer the polished copper
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: rocker feed
« Reply #1 on: 29.05. 2015 14:09 »
Hi Bill,
its 3/16ths of an inch in old money  ;)

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 29.05. 2015 14:59 »
Cheers John I'll see whats on line or we have a good machine shop come supplier in Berwick (Jimmy Woods)
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline sparx

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 29.05. 2015 21:13 »
I used 3/16" copper brake pipe. It's inexpensive and readily available. I drilled the old pipe out of the banjos and T piece then soldered the new in. If you give it a light coat of clear engine lacquer it stays nice and bright.
Dave
Peterborough (UK)

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 30.05. 2015 01:13 »
You are better off silver soldering the pipes in place. Soft solder has a tendency to crack.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.05. 2015 10:37 »
thanks Trev, I'll need to get some

still on topic - it's quite hard to blow through the feed pipe once it's connected to the rockers, it's down to the small hole in the feed bolts I guess air does get through with an airline but blow by mouth it requires a fair bit of puff, going to do a bit of measuring sometime today to see just where the small hole ends up, wondering if their blocked by the brass union onto the box.
All the best - Bill

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 30.05. 2015 20:04 »
No - nothing really wrong just the size of the hole, obviously works but I can see why people would think putting a bigger hole (Goldie type) would be a good move - NOT
All the best - Bill

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 06.06. 2015 21:26 »
right all fired up with some nice new copper pipe to make a new rocker feed using a spare one I have, I managed very easily to remove the old chopped off pipe from the oil tank union with a butane torch and camping gas, but the rocker end isn't  keen to melt (except for the end of my finger ).
Do I need to use propane, I'm thinking maybe it was brazed as I can tin the end of the new pipe with the camping gas (it a mix of butane and something else that escapes me at the mo)
Will need another torch i suppose

All the best - Bill

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 06.06. 2015 21:48 »
Hi Bill, your butane torch should do the job you don't want too much heat or you will melt the brass connector. If ithe old copper tube doesn't come out easily it may be better to drill it out, good luck, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 06.06. 2015 21:56 »
OK cheers  kiwipom
All the best - Bill

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 06.06. 2015 23:59 »

Bill, you may be thinking of MAPP gas...?
"MAPP gas" is a trademarked name, belonging to The Linde Group, and previously belonging to the Dow Chemical Company, for a fuel gas based on a stabilized mixture of methylacetylene (propyne) and propadiene. The name comes from the original chemical composition, methylacetylene-propadiene propane.
Full story here;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAPP_gas

Re the size of the pipe, I may be wrong, but'm thinking that in industry terms (plumbing,refrigeration, gas fitting), while 3/16" is the OD size,  it's referred to 1/8" as in I.D. size.....because when I went looking for some for mine and asked for 3/16, I think they came back with 1/4"...mostly only used in refrigeration these days... *????* feel free to tell me if I'm wrong..

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #11 on: 07.06. 2015 06:37 »
That sounds familiar re. pipe versus tube.

I believe pipe is specified by inner diameter while tubing is specified by outer diameter.

For example, 2 inch diameter pipe will take a 2 inch diameter ball. A 2 inch tube won't.

In either case the wall thickness must be separately specified.

I found this out when buying materials for my canister oil filter, which remains to be finished.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 07.06. 2015 07:33 »
Hi guys, you could be right Terry, I use copper pipe/tube in my work , it's ordered by (I. D.) or (O. D.) depending what is required, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 07.06. 2015 08:37 »

Usually called 'nominal bore' and also in irrigation which varies slightly from plumbing and/or drainage....
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 07.06. 2015 10:24 »
the Pipe was advertised  and marked (3/16 x 2g)  which it's OD is, it is around < 0.1 mm bigger then the original pipe on the rockers which won't be problematic if I'm drilling the old pipe out.
Gas is Butane Propane mix but if it melted the old pipe out of the tank union should be ok to solder the new pipe in.

Need to tidy up the shed before torching or if the wind dies down will be safer in the garage  ;)
All the best - Bill