Author Topic: Sh*t don't always fit (mudguards and exhaust), progress report  (Read 646 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Trying to fit RGS parts that came with last year's big score to the '54 chassis. The rear fender mounts don't look anything like what's in the parts books, but it's obvious how they fit. After I got them on the frame, I did a search here on the forum and found others have used them as well. Are these aftermarket? Just curious. The front fender stays, which I asked about last week, just aren't right. Don't want to mess up the chome, so I'm going to elongate the mounting tabs that are welded to the fenders. They'll be covered by the stays so should look okay if I can get the fender to set right. Looks too far off the tire to me.
  The exhaust pipes are set fully into the head and the bracket obviously doesn't align to the engine mounting bolt. Haven't decided for sure what I'm going to do about that. Don't want to mess up the pretty chrome.
  Decided to work on the seat while thinking about the above. Glued a thick piece of foam to the base and carved it to shape. Tomorrow I'll try out the new sewing machine. Going to try to do a stock style with the bead (welt?) between top and sides. I haven't tried doing that before, but I'll never figure it out without trying.

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
I believe your rear guard stays are for a later '61 model ... 
I'm probably wrong, but the guard / fender doesn't look right to me?
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Fenders and stays were purchased for a '62 RGS Spitfire Scrambler that previous owner was going to do as a street going RGS. My plan is to keep that one as a Scrambler, so figured I'd use these fenders and stays on the '54. Fender is currently sitting on a piece of 2x3 wood block to eyeball what kind of tire clearance I should allow for before making brackets. The rear stays will mount on either frame. Thanks for the picture. It's the first I've seen that clearly shows these rear fender stays.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

But they appear to be completely different guards...? The brackets seem to suit the deeper 'valenced' (izzat da right word?) type ones, but not the shallow 'valenced' ones...you may need custom ones *dunno*

Personally I think all the GS type ones I've seen look weird, and need to sit closer to the tyre/wheel, or have a different radius...or somethin'... *dunno2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Have you looked at this post? You might find it helpful.

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=4564.0

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
as    a101960 's post pointed to, I used this bracket to overcome the same problem, however you might not want to go that route, I was ok due to no wish to remain authentic and used the bracket tab to also hold a luggage rack stay and indicator so the thing is not catching your eye so much.
best of luck with your project though
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Thanks guys. Pics look like what I had in mind. I'm not at all worried about originality, just want to ride. Having started with a bare rolling chassis and a collection of parts, there will be little original anyway. Heck, the gas tank is from a '66 lightning, but fits just fine. I've thought about just using a cafe style seat pan and no rear fender, but using what I already have saves money for other things.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi,
As pointed out you have the late rear stays as used on RGS models

There are two different (at least) stay sets for the front mudguard, depending on whether the guard has welded on or bolted on tabs/ brackets.
The RGS ones I have here measure 6 7/16in, centres on the furthest apart holes for the centre stays and the front / rear ones are 11 7/8in. centres

On your exhaust fitting issues you may need to cut back the pipes where they enter the head  *????*
Its common enough to have to do this *work* (cut off a little at a time ;))
This may upset the fit of the lefthand siamise pipe *problem*
You also need to fit the silencer and bracket, to get the pipe "line" looking correct
It looks from your photo that theres a biggish gap between the pipe and timing case?

In my opinion nothing looks worse than a bike where the exhaust looks to be "dragging its ass along" *sad2*
I tweaked up the end of the SS pipe on my bike to avoid this look

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
I'll have to eyeball those pipes some more. I'm thinking it'll take three cuts. 2 where they enter the head and one where they slip together, as shortening them into the head will bring the joint closer together as well. Re:front fender stays, good to know there's 2 lengths. I can get whatever is needed for the fender I've got, then get the fender to match the stays I've got. Same with the rear. Gee, maybe there're advantages to having 2 bikes to build? (well, other than staying broke buying parts)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Measured my fender stays again. I've got 11 7/8" between holes on the long ones and 6 7/16"  on short one (to the farthest hole). For it to fit right, the short one needs to be 6 7/16" to the nearer (shorter distance) hole or I mount with a single bolt for the center stay using only the upper hole in the fork leg. Not a good idea. Hung it on the scrambler and the gap between fender and tire looks okay for a dirt bike, so I think I'll find or make longer center braces and use these fenders on that bike. Start over on the '54.