Author Topic: Whitworth nomenclature and good USA supplier of hardware  (Read 298 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
I finally bought a set of Whitworth thread pitch gauges from British Tools and Fasteners (www.britishfasteners.com). I've bought a few things from these folks and have been very pleased with quality and service, so USA britbike owners may want to check out their catalog. They have tools, including taps and dies, lots of hardware, both singly and in sets, e.g. I got a complete engine/trans mounting bolt set. Good prices.
   Anyway, I got a set of thread gauges and measured the pitch as best I could for the front axle that I need for the RGSS. The gauge that seems to fit is marked 18g 5/16. I assume that's 18 threads per inch and 5/16" diameter (obviously way too small) per my reading of Whitworth nomenclature on Wikipedia. I'm wondering what the "g" means? Figure I can use a caliper to make sure of the diameter.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

Hiya Jacho; RGS is out of my league, so I'm only guessing, but will suggest that maybe it should be a coarse cycle thread (20tpi BSC/CEI) *dunno*, simply because as far as I'm aware most threads on pre-units are either BSC 26-20/WW or some BA/BSF(where some of these components are not actually BSA, but in common with other marques-except head bolts)..

Maybe throw us a piccie, but surely some of the guys who know will sort it out.... *beer*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
If it is an 8" single sided front hub, I think that you will find it is 9/16" x 20 tpi, left hand.

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Sounds about right, but I'm still curious, what is the meaning of the "g" in 16g 5/16?