Author Topic: A7 Shooter Suddenly Not Starting  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
A7 Shooter Suddenly Not Starting
« on: 11.06. 2015 20:21 »
Hi All here's a teaser.

I have an 1955 At Shooting Star, which up to a few weeks ago, run like a dream, started almost without looking at her. Then the other day had a ride out to Didcot Railway Museum (about 40miles) and on the return had to switch over to the reserve, so popped into a service station. Put two gallons of petrol in and then tried to start it and failed. After checking the usual things like spark and petrol flow, still wouldn't fire up. After about 20 mins of kicking her over, just about to call for the yellow taxi she started. So without delay rode on home. Next day went to my usual bike meet about 10 mile, left there and called in to see a relative, came out and she would start again. Same thing, good spark and petrol flow but dead as a DoDo. After 10 mins this time she started, rode home and I'm now scratch my head on what to check? Any idea's or has anybody had the same happen?

The only bad experience I had prior to this was that about 4 weeks ago, I accidently put a gallon of diesel in by mistake, obviously wouldn't start. Got the yellow taxi home. Flushed out the tank and carb, cleaned the plugs put new petrol in her and away she went. Since then the only maintenance has been to adjust the tappets.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A7 Shooter Suddenly Not Starting
« Reply #1 on: 11.06. 2015 20:26 »
Check that the fuel cap air hole is not blocked. DAMHIK!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 11.06. 2015 22:47 »
Hi Terry,
Where are you checking the fuel flow? check by removing the cap at the bottom of the carb
Its possible that crap from the tank bottom flowed down when on reserve?

Did you fit new plugs after running on the diesel mix?? if not do

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

beezermacc

« Reply #3 on: 12.06. 2015 10:05 »
Sounds like classic magneto failure to me. Probably capacitor gone.

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 12.06. 2015 10:42 »
I'm almost sure there is no crap in the float chamber, there's a filter on the banjo connection and I've recently cleaned the tank when it had diesel in it.

Could be worth trying a change of plugs. The magneto has only done 4K since it was rebuilt and I had a healthy spark.

My money is on a possible fuel airlock, its the only connections which have been disturbed, every think else is as was.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 12.06. 2015 20:30 »
another favourite is the kill button staying on/sticking sometimes. overwise mag problem i d say

Offline paulmbsa

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 13.06. 2015 19:57 »
Mag u/s condenser gone

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 14.06. 2015 00:06 »
  Terry, I'm a bit confused...

..... After 10 mins this time she started, rode home and I'm now scratch my head on what to check? Any idea's or has anybody had the same happen?

The only bad experience I had prior to this was that about 4 weeks ago, I accidently put a gallon of diesel in by mistake, obviously wouldn't start. Got the yellow taxi home. Flushed out the tank and carb, cleaned the plugs put new petrol in her and away she went. Since then the only maintenance has been to adjust the tappets.

..so is there still a problem?

I had a similar, where it just stopped one day on the way to the races....picked it up in the U-beaut blue Ute later- after living in denial for ten years that it was anything but the maggie, I had it rebuilt-; immediate fix(condenser shot, plus ugly old wires ), and no problem since (but I had refurbed the carby in the process).

Having said that though, if it finally starts and runs fine, maybe the idle mixture is a bit out of whack, or float level a bit high...?

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 28.06. 2015 01:24 »
Sounds like mag to me do you only get the problem when the engine is hot?

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 28.06. 2015 19:31 »
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, but been away. If as you say it is the mag/condenser, how come that during the period of not firing, when I checked for a spark on either plugs I was getting a big fat spark?

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 01.07. 2015 03:38 »
Terry

I had exactly the same after about 20 miles my bike died and would not start until it cooled. I had a spark when I tested it but it still never went. Classic mag failure so I am assured. Got the mag done and its now as good as gold

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 01.07. 2015 07:56 »
"Hi,Sorry for the late reply, but been away. If as you say it is the mag/condenser, how come that during the period of not firing, when I checked for a spark on either plugs I was getting a big fat spark?"

It's possible to have a spark show at atmospheric pressure but still no spark when under compression. This situation is pretty common with a weak spark.

Offline Terryb

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 06.07. 2015 17:12 »
OK Guy's I give up and leaning towards thinking its the Mag. I've just cleaned the fuel system, so I plan to make a test run tomorrow.

Having never had a go at re-timing a twin with a Mag and manual A/R and being a coward I'm leaning towards Thorspark Electronic Ignition Conversion. I've read all the messages regarding battery power, but as I do little or no night riding and the bike is mainly used for club runs, its looking like the cheaper option. Equally if I do decide to be brave at a later date I can always exchange the armature and re-commission it.

I'll post my decision soon! Thanks one and all.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 06.07. 2015 18:04 »
Thorspark doesn't look much cheaper than a Tony Cooper mag rebuild.

Also has no electronic auto advance.

beezermacc

« Reply #14 on: 06.07. 2015 19:02 »
Thorspark doesn't look much cheaper than a Tony Cooper mag rebuild.

Also has no electronic auto advance.
..... or Priory Magnetos