Author Topic: out damn crankshaft... but how?  (Read 2141 times)

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: out damn crankshaft... but how?
« Reply #15 on: 18.06. 2015 09:33 »

When I said 'wear' above, that should really have been 'clearance' . Ie, pretty much nil wear if 1.5 thou clearance is about right? Which I think I have read hereabouts in the past.
Haven't 'done' many A series full engine jobs myself (mine doesn't go wrong much luckily), but beezermacc's must be the right approach. Don't want to take anything more than the absolute bare minimum off a journal.
Oh, and PS, I fitted hex-head sludge trap screws after cleaning out the crank - no noticeable difference in vibes. Probably less weight lost there (where it hardly matters anyway) than by cleaning crud off the pistons.
Cheers, Bill
Bill

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 18.06. 2015 12:19 »
 I think it is important that if you go down the route of buying a new bush that has the steel outer and a bronze inner that they are pinned. A previous owner of my A7 fitted a bush that was not pinned and the inner turned causing real damage. I remember when I restored my A65 the bush I bought was not pinned so I pinned it myself before fitting. it pays to check these things out before buying. A solid bush would be preferable if possible.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 18.06. 2015 12:27 »
When inspected a while back in course of redoing the drive side shimming, wear was at one and a half thou and no problems, so it went back as it was and is still going strong. Not a highly-tuned engine, but still, not bad I reckon. No wear on the crank journals either, so I just fitted new shells while I was in there, and put new rings in (which it did need). Oil changes every 1000 miles, 20/50 oil, no external filter, bike mostly ridden medium-gently (to 35mph in 2nd, 50mph in third and cruised at 60-ish mph).
I think a bush can last well, on that basis.
Pretty much the same story as my rebuild except I'm using straight 40 oil with a filter.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #18 on: 18.06. 2015 13:10 »
Mike it comes down to personal preference and how deep the pockets are ! I've had a plunger and 3 s/arm models all on original bush ,only blow one the plunger but I was 16 and stupid ,the others withstood anything I could throw at 'em. On the other hand after a long layoff from bikes I rebuilt the engine with the conversion ends and crank bal by SRM . Simply due to being able to cover cost easily and not wanting any hasle for as long as poss . That's was 2001 and the engine ,touchwood is still great. cheers Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #19 on: 18.06. 2015 23:36 »
I was going to mention how it would be good to find out why it has failed to ensure there is no reoccurence.......goo in the oil ways maybe?..as it does look like oil starvation has occurred?
I'm thinking along the same lines. This kind of damage definitely looks like insufficient lubrication.
A bearing conversion also wouldn't last long if not well lubricated, so you'll need that cleared first.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 19.06. 2015 00:10 »
Before fitting a bush to the crankcase, get a machinist to measure the bore in the crankcase for concentricity.

I have always found them to be out of round, usually 0.010"- 0.014".

This is probably the result of a 28 pound flexing flywheel which has done millions of rpm.

Anyway, I always have the bore machined true, and then make an oversized bush, with the appropriate interference fit.

This ensures you won't lose oil supply to the crankshaft, around the outside of the bushing.

I twigged to this potential issue after blowing compressed air into the oil delivery (pressure) port of an assembled engine on my plunger bike, and air rushed out from between the bush and the crankshaft, in several places!

This is a simple test to perform, BTW.

A friend who has been overhauling A65 / A50 engines for decades says he always checks the crankcase bore for out of round, and they invariably need to be machined before bushing.

Hopefully, the bore in your crankcase is not out of round, but at least check it!

Richard

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 19.06. 2015 05:36 »
i have read quite a few threads on this already, but other than rivet counting and pain in the pocket is there any reason to NOT do the roller conversion? what convinced you to stay with a bush KiwiGF?

Ref above....my machinist convinced me that there was no advantage to be had from the roller conversion if the plain bearing was done properly, he would have done the job either way albeit he does not do grinding so I got that done by Hutt city engineers. He is very low cost so it was not the cost that swayed me, although I think the bearing itself is not cheap. The work he did on the bottom end cost $250 and included making mis matched cases fit etc....one of the cheapest items of my resto!

A guy in the bsa club runs an a65 hornet with roller conversion many years old, and which he rides hard, it has done over 95k miles without serious work.

The only Reason not to do the conversion maybe that you may find if difficult to find someone with good recent experience of doing the roller conversion in NZ?

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 19.06. 2015 11:17 »
thanks for all the helpful comments on this. time for me to research local engineering shops and ponder my options.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #23 on: 22.06. 2015 01:46 »
That bush certainly wins the "worst I've ever seen in a  motor that hadn't gone bang" category.
Am not looking forward to seeing the main bearing shells if the bush was that knackered.
Given the bush runs in an oil bath that's a shocker. You are lucky you pulled it down before it pulled itself apart in a hand grenade type moment
I can only surmise that the bush inner has moved relative to the bush housing so that the oil holes were no longer aligned, cutting off oil feed to the bush... either way nasty nasty
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 28.06. 2015 01:21 »
One disadvantage with the SRM roller conversion is that you cannot run the bike with the timing case off. I know its not something you would do regularly but if you have dynamo or mag problems its double handy to be able to start the bike without putting the timing case back on every time you want to test it..

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #25 on: 28.06. 2015 01:50 »
bikerboy - can you explain why after the roller conversion you can't run with the timing case off? i know the crank is end drill for the oilway but can't see the consequences of this.
thanks
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #26 on: 29.06. 2015 12:24 »
Mike , part of the SRM conversion is to reroute the oil feed to the crank , the oil gets into the crank via a quill in the cranks end which inserts into a seal in the outer timing case and you get improved flow to the crank however take it off and no oil gets to the crank it just ends up on the floor/wall cheers Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 29.06. 2015 12:36 »
Mike , part of the SRM conversion is to reroute the oil feed to the crank , the oil gets into the crank via a quill in the cranks end which inserts into a seal in the outer timing case and you get improved flow to the crank however take it off and no oil gets to the crank it just ends up on the floor/wall cheers Bob.

Does this not suggest that it should also be accompanied by a modified timing chest cover with access windows? (But would that look 'orrible?)
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 29.06. 2015 20:00 »
Hi
You only need a window to admire the shiney blue SRM oil pump if you have one fitted *bright idea*  LOL

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 29.06. 2015 20:10 »
Hi
You only need a window to admire the shiney blue SRM oil pump if you have one fitted *bright idea*  LOL

John

You need to take out a mortgage to afford the pump!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash