Author Topic: Gearbox differences  (Read 772 times)

Offline ADP91

• Moving Up
Gearbox differences
« on: 14.06. 2015 21:27 »
Hi all,

quick question about the differences between a10 gearboxes. I am aware that the rigid and plunger gearboxes mounts directly to the rear of the engine but I'm wondering if the actual casings are different between plunger and swingarm models. I have a '59 engine and bought a gearbox that has STD and 42-3006 stamped on it.

Can anyone tell me if this model of gearbox is an older plunger model or a swingarm model? is there a difference?

cheers, A

beezermacc

Re: Gearbox differences
« Reply #1 on: 14.06. 2015 21:42 »
The casings are completely different. The plunger box has a big square casting at the front with a hole in each corner for the mounting bolts to the engine. The swinging arm box has lugs top and bottom for the main mounting bolts to slide through. The outer and inner covers are also slightly different due to the different gear lever return mechanism.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 15.06. 2015 13:59 »

In addition to what Beezermacc said, the 'STD' just means 'Standard Ratio' gears and according to the parts list, it's a swing arm box so will go with that engine
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline ADP91

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 16.06. 2015 02:33 »
Fantastic, thanks for the information.

-A