Author Topic: Repainting Barrels  (Read 646 times)

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
Repainting Barrels
« on: 28.06. 2015 10:14 »
Hi All,

My engine is in pieces so it might be a good time to get the barrel finish stripped down to the bar metal and repainted. Does anyone know of a good restorer who can do this in the UK?

Regards
Bruce
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Repainting Barrels
« Reply #1 on: 28.06. 2015 11:12 »
This is how I did mine. I left the cast iron parts, (note 1) of my engine for about ten days in a plastic garden trug containing a caustic soda mixture, (note 2) ; this removed any grease, (with help from a pressure hose). Caustic soda doesn't affect clean iron. With a new CS solution I then wired them up to my battery charger, (Note 3) (-ve) with a (+ve) cathode, (note 4) in the juice, turning periodically; this removed rust. When the metal was rinsed and dry I sprayed them with a semi-gloss aerosol heatproof paint. Looking at old photos I think semi-gloss looks about right.

Note 1: Only cast iron; not aluminum

Note 2: Dangerous stuff but cheap and easily available in the UK. Add CS to water, never add water to CS. Wear rubber gloves and goggles when near to CS. Do not breath fumes.
http://chemistry.about.com/od/labrecipes/a/sodiumhydroxidesolutions.htm

Note 3: I had an old unregulated battery charger that was obviously capable of pumping out real amps. Unfortunately I burnt it out later while attempting zinc plating.

Note 4: I think that's the correct polarity
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 28.06. 2015 11:31 »

*eek*....
Note 4: I think that's the correct polarity
.... *eek*

Nice one GB,  I've wondered about this general concept since talking to the guy at the chrome shop...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.06. 2015 12:47 »
Just painted mine with Halfords gloss black engine paint looks good (I know I've used matt/satin in the past but reckon the gloss will flatten anyhow), Engine hasn't been fired since (a disgrace I know - tell my missus) so can't say how it will look after some miles
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Brucie64

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 28.06. 2015 14:21 »
Hi Bsa-bill,

You put any special type of primer on your barrels before painting them black?

Regards
Bruce
Bruce
Spitfire
UK

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 28.06. 2015 14:31 »
You put any special type of primer on your barrels before painting them black?

actually no, just scrapped all loose paint of with a flexible thin rat tail file, blew it off with airline and painted, but as I said , hasn't been fired up yet, however that what we did back in the day before going to events
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco