Author Topic: A good, fairly long trip (sorry, not on a BSA yet)  (Read 230 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Just got back from a week long ride through some beautiful country. Rode from Boise Idaho to Flaming Gorge, Utah where I met an old and made a new friend. From there, we headed north through Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. Figured we may escape some of the heat by going north and gaining elevation. Camped in a canyon on the Snake River and watched a mountain goat while drinking morning coffee.
Exited Yellowstone on the east side and rode the Beartooth Scenic Byway. Great road and fantastic scenery. Had to run the interstate for about 70 miles to hook up with the next scenic 2-lanes and worked our way to Missoula Montana and over Lolo Pass. "Winding Road next 99 miles" is a beautiful roadsign. Camped on the Selway River that night, then followed the Salmon river downstream to the Payette river. Great winding road along the Payette, then up over the ridge on Idaho 21 to home. I once counted curves on this stretch and got to 100 before 20 miles, at which point I stopped counting. Took the V11 LeMans on this trip, as I'd never done any long rides on it and wanted to try it. Works pretty well, but wants to go faster than the guys on the 650 VStroms.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A good, fairly long trip (sorry, not on a BSA yet)
« Reply #1 on: 05.07. 2015 15:00 »
Green with envy! *grins*

Have you read the book 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'? The early parts of the story where he is riding on Americas back roads with his young son are lovely. Your story reminded me of it. As the book progresses and moves into the realms of the authors deep introspection's it left me farther and farther behind! The message that I got from that book and thoroughly agree with is that you cannot get the best from a motorcycle or any other mechanism unless you understand it.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 05.07. 2015 21:22 »
 *clap* Sounds like a great ride. Still looks a bit cool for your summer. And try to find some flat ground to camp on, no wonder you saw a mountain goet in the morn. ;)
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 05.07. 2015 21:52 »
I lost my heart to the Tetons last year - albeit in a hire car. And I've long since signed my soul over to Moto Guzzi. Sounds like and epic trip. Good stuff.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 05.07. 2015 23:58 »
Never have read Zen and the Art of MC Maintenance. Suppose I should someday.
Actually, Musky, it was quite hot at the lower elevations (>100F) and really wasn't very cold even up high. Those mountains get a lot of snow and it takes a while to melt. Flat ground??? Isn't that where roads are straight and flat? No fun in that!