Author Topic: Some help with the CLUTCH  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Daniel Toro (DT)

• A's Good Friend
Re: Some help with the CLUTCH
« Reply #15 on: 30.03. 2009 21:30 »
Thanks beezalex, i was thinking somewthing like that, can't attach the cover because come part is missing.
I'm looking for a place do buy all pieces, talking to 3 or 4 stores here recommendet.

I don't know why some things happens, or better, why some people take off some pieces.
But we try to bring the original back! hehe.

-= DT - Loco =-
 -= SombreroS - SP =-

Richard

« Reply #16 on: 30.03. 2009 22:32 »
DT
If the cover you are refering to is the one held on by all the small screws inside the primary chaincase I was told that it was originally there to keep the clutch plates dry, and it is now not required as the modern friction plates work even if they get oil on them i.e. they are wet plates.
Certainly on my 54 A10 plunger I have run a six spring clutch with replacement friction plates and no cover with no problems for a 12 month now.
Having said that I would love to find a direct replacement for that clutch as I have a george prew 4 spring on my 61 Super Rocket and you can pull the lever in with one finger not the super human effort it takes with the 6 spring!!
Richard

Offline Daniel Toro (DT)

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 31.03. 2009 00:48 »
Richard, that's it.
I was concerned about the oil and tha's the reason to look for a cover.
But you told everything, whit the new 'technologies' problaly this is'nt necessary anymore.

Thank you.
-= DT - Loco =-
 -= SombreroS - SP =-

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #18 on: 31.03. 2009 11:16 »
Having said that I would love to find a direct replacement for that clutch as I have a george prew 4 spring on my 61 Super Rocket and you can pull the lever in with one finger not the super human effort it takes with the 6 spring!!

But you can get a 6 spring alloy pressure plate and radial bearing lifter.
Pop one of these on then back off the clutch nuts till it starts to slip then tighten 1/2 turn
Result is a 2 finger clutch.

I was concerned about the oil and tha's the reason to look for a cover.
But you told everything, whit the new 'technologies' problaly this is'nt necessary anymore

OTOH you might like to try ATF in the primary.
It is very popular with the Notrun riders who consider that their 860 Commandos "too powerful for the conventional clutchs "
The good side is that ATF is pink & engine oil is black so it makes it easy to work out where those dribbles on the bottom of the primary are coming from.

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline beezalex

• North Carolina, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 31.03. 2009 15:51 »
You may be able to get the clutch to work wet, but it will never work as well as it does dry.  Simple fact is that the friction coefficient in oil is much lower than dry no matter what kind of friction material you use.  Pretty much all of the british wet clutches (Except the commando) are marginal as they came and the only reason the plunger A10 clutch works well is because it is dry.

Also, IMHO, there is no reason to run anything BUT ATF in a vintage british primary that doesn't share engine oil.  ATF is designed for wet clutches.
Alex

Too many BSA's