Author Topic: Bitsa trials and tribulations  (Read 513 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Bitsa trials and tribulations
« on: 12.07. 2015 19:41 »
Making slow progress on both A10s. Found a footpeg clamp that I didn't think I had for the RGS scrambler. Broken, but may be repairable.
Got footpegs for the '54 thanks to Rocketracer. bought the '54 as a rolling chassis. Could have (should have) bought the complete bike minus engine/tranny, but couldn't afford it at the time. Big mistake. Anyway, parts book shows this bike as using a crossover shaft and cable to actuate the brake, but the wheel that was on it, and the pedal mounting lug look to me like it should (or at least could) be rod operated. Looking up pictures online, I'm finding both styles purporting to be '54 A10s. Some have crinkle hubs and some full width drums. Sure glad I don't care about originality or this would drive me crazy. Luckily, all I need to do is figure out what pedal I want! (and make a rod, etc.)

Online Klaus

• Valued Contributor
Re: Bitsa trials and tribulations
« Reply #1 on: 12.07. 2015 20:12 »
Hi,

a picture would be nice,because there are many differences between this systems.
Rod operated CD hubs with the breake at left side and full width with the cross over on the right side.
The swing arms are also diffent by fiting the torque arm.
You neeed to find the right weel fit the swining arm.

cheers Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.07. 2015 23:14 »
'54 & '55 have the rod operated brake. The cross over was first fitted in '56.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #3 on: 13.07. 2015 04:48 »
I think you need a new parts list, perhaps for the 54/55 (I might even sell you mine) year , You've got the early rare (mainly exported to the US) QD type wheel model with the better brakes .
But you also have a number of late parts on the photos I've seen...
The early brake levers are quite rare over here, whereas I had a small pile of cross over type (require the hollow spindle swing arm shaft)
 Brake lever part no 42-7003,
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 13.07. 2015 07:57 »
Hi guys, Iv,e got one of those plus the genuine gold star Clubman one which are surplus to requirements,cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 13.07. 2015 13:42 »
I've been using a parts list cd loaned to me by a friend. It has '54 to '57 all in one. I also have the original books, but they're down in the shop. Looking again, at the cd, I found the source of my confusion. There are 3 different setups used in these years. One for plungers, 2 for swingarms. I was stopping at the wrong swingarm diagram.