Author Topic: having the head redone-ouch?  (Read 3426 times)

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
Re: having the head redone-ouch?
« Reply #15 on: 20.04. 2009 19:31 »
just a quick update, not that anyone really needs to know, but I just got off the phone with the shop and they said that with the new valves the head doesn't need the hardened seats after all!  the thickness of the new valves sets them up to a good positioning, so I can wait until the next head job to replace the seats if needed.

I knew there was a reason I trusted these guys! Acme Machine in Ft Collins, CO.  glad to know that they weren't just pushing the seats.

thanks again!, hoping to have 'er all back together by the weekend!!
\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 21.04. 2009 07:09 »
Jolly good!

Offline snowbeard

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 02.05. 2009 04:36 »
well, got the head back last week, still doing the other little piddly stuff to get ready. Checked my timing and found why she ran best with a little retard, cause I missed the mark on my last attempt at timing even tho I thought I had made it. even double checked, maybe it slipped.

oh well, that will be remedied soon enough!

so it was interesting, the parts returned with my head.  The valves were all sharp on the edges, as explained to me that's why they were so recessed, as well as unusable. one was a maybe, but he figured while we're at it, we might as well do it right with all four.  keep from having to redo it that much sooner.

the valve guides were an interesting situation.  they had been reamed out with a spiral pattern. he said that was often done as a stop-gap fix, as the reaming raised the metal and closed the hole, then they were redrilled to the right size for the valve stem.  it almost looks like the K-liners suggested, but just done to the guides themselves.

anyway, just reminscing already... more to come regarding head gaskets and the like soon, as my wife is leaving town for a week starting sunday, finally! a good bit of time to be wrenching out in the garage!! :)
\1981 Suzi GS650

=

Offline snowbeard

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 07.05. 2009 22:13 »
well, I know at this point I'm the only one posting to this thread, but I just had to put it to bed!

SHE LIVES!!  fired up first kick even!!!  the head seems happy, and with the timing right about 34 BTDC (I don't trust myself so I tried to err on the side of caution just in case) she purrs like a lion! 

the retard actually changes how she runs and pulls, so I guess I got something put back together better than the first time! 

and just in time for the 7th annual Old Bike Ride, I love it when a plan comes together! *yeah*
\1981 Suzi GS650

=

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 08.05. 2009 19:40 »
Nice one, it is nice when an expensive plan goes well.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 08.05. 2009 20:20 »
Snowbeard,

Great news! Now I'm envious of all the Colorado scenery you get to ride around in. It is pretty far from where I live in Illinois to get to places that are hilly, winding and offer a view. If I recall my visit to Golden of many years ago, it should be a nice ride from Boulder.  have a great time.

Richard L.