Author Topic: QD Crinkle hub or Chinese puzzle?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Gazzoowen

• Active
QD Crinkle hub or Chinese puzzle?
« on: 15.07. 2015 20:03 »
Can anyone help me insert the bearing spacer into a QD crinkle hub?

Inside each end of the hub is a machined ridge that the bearings sit up against and the star washers are supposed to sit against the inside edge of. By introducing the spacer at an angle I've managed to get the first end of the spacer in and by moving it around the welded pins, managed to get it most of the way in. The thing is I can't see how the second star washer will get past the ridge as I can't angle the spacer to get it past. I'll try and get some pictures up but meanwhile has anyone got any tips on how to do this?

Gary

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: QD Crinkle hub or Chinese puzzle?
« Reply #1 on: 15.07. 2015 21:25 »
The star washer is a push fit on the spacer. Push the first washer off the spacer, butt it up against the ridge and push the spacer in from the sprocket side with the other washer on.
Or else, just get rid of the washers. It's just the spacer you need to hold the bearings. I left mine out without any consequences.
Unless anyone knows better, I can't for the hell figure out why they're there at all, except maybe for keeping the spacer centred when pushing the shaft in, although I never had any problem with that. The spacer can't slide out of centre that much. If it does, all it needs is a bit of a wiggle when pushing the shaft in.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 15.07. 2015 21:38 »
That's why their there morris. Imagine the frustration on the side of the road trying to re fit the wheel and the spacer keeps falling to the bottom. *pull hair out*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 15.07. 2015 21:57 »
Got a point there Musky. Forgot that my hub's tightened with bolts and nuts. the thickness of the nuts on the inside keeps the spacer centred. If I take the shaft out the spacer can't move more than 2-3 mm so the shaft will go in anyway.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 16.07. 2015 09:06 »

I'm a bit lost with some of that description, but one thing I found is that you need to ensure that the flanges of the "star washers" don't interfere with the rivets/whatever, because the spacer doesn't spin with the wheel and the hub does...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Gazzoowen

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 22.07. 2015 19:51 »
Thanks Morris, slipped a star washer off before fitting and 2 minutes later - hub assembled! *smile*

Gary.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 22.07. 2015 22:27 »

I'm still baffled by what you say " machined ridge"....If you mean what the arow is pinting to in the revised photo, that's a removable "Hub Bearing Thrust Washer"  part# 65-5884 books says one of, but I thought there is two in Plunger hubs and one in swing arm models... it's on the spline side as per screen shot from parts book

*dunno*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Gazzoowen

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 27.07. 2015 18:31 »

I'm still baffled by what you say " machined ridge"....If you mean what the arow is pinting to in the revised photo, that's a removable "Hub Bearing Thrust Washer"  part# 65-5884 books says one of, but I thought there is two in Plunger hubs and one in swing arm models... it's on the spline side as per screen shot from parts book

*dunno*
I feel such a fool, one sharp tap and both "machine ridges" became thrust washers; 20 minutes later spacer went in together with bearings and bearing retainers - all done!

Thanks DuTch...