Author Topic: Gear box oil  (Read 885 times)

Offline BSAA10

• Moving Up
Gear box oil
« on: 27.07. 2015 05:11 »
Am I advised to use a fully mineral gear oil in the old BSA or is a synthetic better.
I am using Castrol VMX 80 at present. Thanks

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: Gear box oil
« Reply #1 on: 27.07. 2015 09:21 »
The BSA box is a tough old thing, but the layshaft bushes don't like sulphur additives. Other than that its largely personal preference. I like red line synthetic in mine.
Most boxes I've  seen have worn layshaft bearings. These gearboxes can take a lot of abuse. 

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline BSAA10

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 28.07. 2015 02:04 »
Thank you. Excuse my ignorance but I thought all GL5 oils had a higher sulpher content. Aren't all Redline synthetics GL5?
Thanks

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.07. 2015 02:25 »
Aren't all Redline synthetics GL5?
Thanks

I'm sure many are, but not all. I run on their MTL product. Its certainly given me good service.

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline BSAA10

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 28.07. 2015 02:35 »
Thank you.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 28.07. 2015 02:49 »
Cheers
 As long as its clean and to the right level, these boxes are pretty hardy, sadly they are all also sixty odd years old so wear can be present. I have a decent stock of gearbox spares in serviceable condition if your box ever needs a fresh STD dog. The bushed layshafts are the common point of wear although a box I'm currently setting up has worn sleeve gear bushes which need work and worth doing for a SC box.
New Zealand

Offline BSAA10

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 28.07. 2015 02:52 »
Thanks again for your input. You obviously have good knowledge, what engine oil do you use? Again, thanks.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 28.07. 2015 03:10 »
 *eek* sounds like I'd better do another plug for the counselling session on the 12th August, Northcote Tavern after 6:30...

I can't be much help to you there, my race engine runs on Morris 40 castor oil and so I can always swap engines if need be, so my road A10 (super rocket project) will also run on it.
So not compatible with any mineral oils I could recommend.

The one thing I would say about engine oils is that firstly do you know much about the history of the build. The A10's run a sludge trap and quietly accumulate the stuff. So unless you have a nice fresh sludge free crank I would recommend a monograde (Morris do a good straight 40) like they ran back in '60. If you have a nice clean motor you can opt to run modern multigrade oils with detergents but should also have a modern return oil filter and a clean oil tank.

A10's must have clean engine oil for long life.
Also recommend cleaning the sump gauze routinely
New Zealand