Author Topic: My Ignition system (to a10gf)  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Daniel Toro (DT)

• A's Good Friend
My Ignition system (to a10gf)
« on: 28.03. 2009 15:14 »
Hello.

I'll try to show my ignition system 12v.
Sorry about the english but i don't know even the regular, the techinical is worst.

Well, when i buy the motorcycle, she came with this system.
I think the ex-ex-owner make this but never used the bike.
Then he sell to the ex-owner whos doesnt ride either for more than 2 years.

After that, she come to live again with me! :D

Here comes some pictures to show some details but basically, is a 4 cilinder car system.
On the tools box (i know, is a wrong tool box) have a Bosch ignition module and the ignition coil. (tks google  *smile*).

An adaptation to distribuitor and 2 cables disposed in front of another.
And 2 caps to hide the holes in the distribuitor cover.

In the front, a chain make the connection to an Toyota (i think) alternator.

And that's all. 12v an no problems.
I was thinking to become original system but i hope to use her so much, is better let it with the 12v.

Maybe is not so preety, but it works!
And i rather something working than beautiful.
Ok, if is beautifull AND working, is so much better! Hahahaha....

If somebody want more information or pictures, just ask.

Regards.

-= DT - Loco =-
 -= SombreroS - SP =-

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: My Ignition system (to a10gf)
« Reply #1 on: 28.03. 2009 15:40 »
DT,

First, I think you need not apologize for your English. We understand that Portugese is your first language. I had no trouble understanding everything you were saying. Some folks here (no names) write as if speaking in their local English accent (maybe that applies to me with words like "folks") and,  sometimes, that is harder to understand than someone, like you, who is working hard to be understood in a second language.

As for your ignition system, I can't say I like it, but, in way, I love it. It shows great Brazilian ingenuity (said as a compliment) in a place and time where it had to be very hard to get old BSA parts. Also, if the ex-ex-owner had his own machine shop, the modifications to the ignition system might well have been nearly free of cost. Now, with the internet, most of the parts could be readily found, though with some real cost.

If I were deciding what the future of the bike would be, I would start collecting original ignition and charging parts when they showed up cheap, all the while and in the mean time, enjoying motoring on an enigma.

Richard L.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 28.03. 2009 16:24 »
Thanks for interesting pics and story, and as Richard points out, appreciation for all the work to keep the bike running.

e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Pollock

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 29.03. 2009 04:47 »
DT.

Man I love it that is cool...
I have seen distributors on a bike...
But that is a good solution the lucas DC dynamo....
Thanks for sharing...
POllock

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #4 on: 29.03. 2009 11:10 »
I must admit that this has taken even ME by suprise. I quite like the system that has been fitted although I wont be going down that route myself, there seems to be too many parts. I hope it goes well for you and that your able to fix it if it needs any future attention. Nice to hear that you would like it original and I'd agree with what Richard Manosound says about collecting parts for a later date, to fit, maybe when the present system fails. But the main thing is to enjoy the riding and the video shows how much you do enjoy just that! Keep with us DT, nice to have you here.

LJ.

Edit: Pollock... Nice to see you posting again! Where've ya bin? Hope your keeping well n' riding.  *wave*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 29.03. 2009 16:35 »
I think it's good to see an interesting modification like that and it's the sort of thing I would do if planning to do lots of miles. I would probably opt for a simple electronic ignition system such as that off a Mk2 Ford Fiesta. With the car alternator you could have a modern halogen headlight and night riding would be a good deal safer. Some people will say that if you want modern technology get a modern bike but nothing has quite the same engine characteristics and sound of an old Brit twin.
At the classic shows most of the punters are only interested in the concours Goldies, Triumphs etc but after a few years of seeing the same showroom condition bikes it makes a refreshing change to see something like DTs bike which is one of a kind. *clap*

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #6 on: 29.03. 2009 16:58 »
Agree so  much with fido's comment.
Really ingenious mod. I've often pondered trying something similar - but never figured quite how to make the cradle and drive arrangement in the space available. The pix prove it can be done!
Bill

Offline Daniel Toro (DT)

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 30.03. 2009 21:39 »
I'm glad with the approves! :D

We always create something to keep the things working.
Now is so much easy to access some website and order some parts (even with the high taxes sometimes).
But a while ago we don't have this facilities and we need to use what we have.  hehehe.

Whit a harley once, a friend of mine use one piston from an old FUSCA (VW bettle).
And works good until find an original to replace.

Well, that's it.
But the important is keep the bikes running.
-= DT - Loco =-
 -= SombreroS - SP =-

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.09. 2014 08:26 »

geez Dan, you'd be able to run heat lamps off that, melt snow AND have warm hands...!

Only thing I'd be concerned about is the lack of airflow to the barrels in the heat... so why is it now in bits..?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Daniel Toro (DT)

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 04.09. 2014 17:52 »

geez Dan, you'd be able to run heat lamps off that, melt snow AND have warm hands...!

Only thing I'd be concerned about is the lack of airflow to the barrels in the heat...

I never thought about the airflow indeed. :)
-= DT - Loco =-
 -= SombreroS - SP =-