Author Topic: Ouch!  (Read 516 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Ouch!
« on: 27.07. 2015 17:48 »
In this thread you can tell us about your, er, incidents, either BSA or not.

I have not, (yet) come off my BSA but I have a couple of other stories, both relating to Honda 500 Four's

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

Once upon a time; this would be about 1973, I worked as a mechanic at a Puch and Honda dealership. I had just serviced a lovingly maintained shiny black Honda 500 Four. While road testing the machine, (one of the perks of the job) I decided to go home for lunch. I was urging the bike rapidly up a hill in the town we lived in, (Chatham in Kent) that has a tight left bend at the top; the road must have been greasy cos next moment I'm sprawling across the road. I was not really hurt but the lovely Honda needed some new exhaust pipes and silencers and a partial paint job. I still feel the shame of having to tell the very nice owner what I had done to his pride and joy!

A few years after this I got a job as a motorcycle courier, working for a Norfolk print firm, riding their Honda 500 Four, collecting print copy from various sources around the London area and taking them back to Norfolk. My average weekly mileage was 1000 miles! The job was only for the six months of winter so lots of very cold riding. This morning I had set off from base at about 8 o'clock. The roads were frosty so I was being cautious but after about an hours riding I was on the Newmarket bypass; a fast road, like a UK motorway. The sun had come up and the frost was melting away. Overtaking a line of cars I was doing over 90mph. I very clearly remember the next few moments. I felt the rear wheel slip sideways, (presumably on some unmelted ice) and I knew I was going to come off. I had time to think this: 'I hope it doesn't hurt too much!'. Next moment I'm surfing along in the fast lane with the motorcycle in front of me throwing off sparks from the road. After what seemed like a long time me and the Honda came to a halt. I just stood up, got the bike up and pushed it off the road. Because it was cold and I had lots of layers of clothing with a leather suit my only injury was a grazed hip where the road had worn through. A car stopped to assist; the driver was an off-duty policeman who very kindly took me into Cambridge so I could phone my employers and get a pick-up.

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Re: Ouch!
« Reply #1 on: 28.07. 2015 07:32 »
I think we all have had the inevitable low speed spill or tip over where our foot was not where it should have been whilst maneuvering at a stop.   
In my younger days when I was a LOT sillier than I am now  *eek* I too had a few memorable offs.
Fortunately none more serious than a few scrapes & a dented pride..
I remember one incident when I was a pillion passenger on the back of a Honda 450 twin, about 1970ish?
We were going fishing, I was holding onto the 2 slabs of beer & 2 fishing rods..
The rider was a keen fisherman also, & as we negotiated a left hand sweeper over a bridge the rider noticed people fly fishing below,.. by the time he looked up we had veered onto the wrong side of the road & heading for a pylon on the bridge..  The bike went down & we both went rolling along the road with the beer squirting out small holes in the cans..  *doh*
Yes ... we picked up the bike & pushed it to the side of the road & recovered our beer quickly polishing off the holed ones..  *smile* *beer*

The last off was a few years ago when we went on a pub run... " free pot & a Parma night"
coming home through the twisties my ability was not as good as I thought..
I had taken this off camber corner at over 100kms many times, this time I didn't...
I ran out of road & slammed into a embankment..  I remember sucking on the green whistle & complaining to the Ambulance guy for not turning the siren & flashing lights on...  wasn't I important enough?    *countdown*   4 days in Hospital with a small fracture in my right hip..

EDIT:  sorry about my hairy bum...   *red*   
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 28.07. 2015 09:06 »
Blimey; didn't expect to see p0rn! Quite put me off my breakfast!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.07. 2015 10:43 »

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

...OK "Happiness Stan"....

Was a weekend about '92 still had my XT but just before the Gutzzi, and we were going camping, but I had to work Saturday for a while....finished about 1 or 2 ('bout lunchtime for those who do that) but then there was one of those early arvo storms where it's hot as buggery all day then suddenly buckets down for a half-hour or two then the sun comes out and is nice and hot again....so rode home through that, by which time was drying out and clear, but getting towards dusk...thought twice about going to meet the others but decided to persevere and avoid the ramifications of '!! *rant*!!'....
     Not a long trip, only 20k's down the hill, along the valley then back along the other side a few more k's, then hang a right and ride 10 or 20 through the rainforest to the camp...however....a few months earlier the Kenilworth bridge had been washed away, so the initial 20 km trip was more like 40 or so (windy cow roads)-just to get to Kenno., so by the time I was through town and... almost through the windies in the 'hang a right zone', was almost dark...trouble is, coming into a left hander, a car came the other way with lights on full- I pulled over blinded(hasn't changed since) but single-lane bitumen met gravel that wasn't there due to recent heavy rain, so got caught in the gutter and after a few tank slappers, went down like a bag of (do people still put shit in bags??)...ooooh shoulder hurts...bad *ex*....
.....picked the bike up and continued, but after a few k's out of the windies(shouldn't take that long) couldn't figure why the last failing light was on my left when it should be on my right, or not even anywhere. *dunno*..then I came (back) into town *????*...uhoh...turned out.when I picked up and started back off, I went back the way I came...dilemma...two choices;...continue on a shit trip home- 40-odd k's that way...or turn around and go 60-odd k's home past the way I should be going, and keep going with twisted forks and light shining on the birds, a right arm that doesn't wish to function as an arm/hand combo...Half a doz/six or nine, I went and found the "appy campers", up the dirt road to the wilderness was the best of a bunch of bad options.
 Funny enough, had shoulder X-rayed, nothing wrong...and strangely, for a few weeks could carry stuff with my right arm, but not the left but right shoulder still hangs low  *conf*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 28.07. 2015 10:50 »
Was a weekend about '92...
SNIP
...right shoulder still hangs low...
Wow; very graphic duTch and I could hear your Ozzie accent telling it!

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 28.07. 2015 11:07 »
Ahhh, the green whistle. I remember sucking on it for quite some time, then the Ambo said put your finger over the end for a better hit. Now he tells me. Was a bit hard to suck with 5 broken ribs and a punctured lung.
Too many stories to tell. The only bone I havn't broke is my neck *eek*.
I remember T boning a car (came out of a stop sign) and eating the gutter. Breaking my jaw. The senior plastic surgeon came with a load of students to look see. (plastic surgeons wire jaws) He said clench your teeth. I did. He said you don't need me, you need a dentist. One almighty punch and I said now YOU need a dentist. I got dressed and walked out of hospital. Soup through a straw for a few weeks.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 28.07. 2015 11:33 »
Heres my penny worth. 1967  9 me 17 ) Riding into work on my A7SS, a real beauty I had to negotiate a pile of crap, rubble and associated building materials that a band of mad adventurers or so called civil engineers were trying to convert into a flyover . This diversion lead me at quite a sharp angle  to a slip road which lead to the open road. I was only ,Thank god , doing about 25 mph when I got to the edge of this road to find my vision blocked by a huge Daimler double decker bus , those old enough may remember them, they had an Indian chiefs head on the radiator  ( I know that cos that's what my helmit hit  *countdown* ) anyway using all my skill  *dunno* I slamed on the brakes locked the front wheel  ( goldie 8" just fitted ) on the grit the idle buggers had  left everywhere and hit the bus ,last thought at that time was "oh fook why a bus " came to about 2 mins later being dragged into a pub ,large brandy kindly given was downed before I realised it (and I don't like brandy ) I sat there for a couple of mins and suddenly a guy trying to help got a face full of blood ,mine , where I'd rebent my clip ons with my right  knee, had suddenly sprouted a bleed ,none had noticed a  tear in my jeans , i was given a towel and stopped it til the ambo arrived . they got me in the back but on the way I walked (,oh to be that resilient again ) out, there was my PAJ imbedded in the bus's front , well i had to do something so I kicked the bloody bus , they had ,fortunately for me,  rubber mudguards ,  and a head light popped out .... result , off to oz ,more  fun and games there , firstly they wanted to cut my jeans off ,what comfy 501's all the way from the states ,no way anyway I was ..erm not wearing any underwear  , didn't do me any good before before I could do anything they'd cut the things from ankle to crotch , much to the nurses amusement , about 57 stitches later mostly small cuts  I was able to hobble home and to the expected , that's your motorcycling days done rubbish etc,  I kept the helmit for years ,had a lovely dent but didn't go through , so bast**d knicked my front wheel before the bike was collected from the POLICE yard ,I i but her back on the road about 2 mths later .  that's my serious one ,guardian angel somewhere methinks ,Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 28.07. 2015 11:49 »
...5 broken ribs and a punctured lung...
Yikes! I thought you might have a few horror stories for us.
...He said you don't need me, you need a dentist. One almighty punch and I said now YOU need a dentist...
Did you really deck the guy?!

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 28.07. 2015 12:06 »

It's gone, WozzA have you turned shy or has the censor intervened, ? didn't offend anyone I don't think, mind good job you didn't have a hernia *smile*

proper good bruising though, reminds me of my many pulled calf muscles
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 28.07. 2015 12:07 »
Yep, straight to the floor he went. Funny watching 5 students trying to pick him up.
How about the roo jumping out at me just on dusk after a six pack  *beer*. 50 mph slowing for my turn off (dirt). Killed him, broke left shoulder in 12 places (read shattered). Sitting on the side of the road for 5 minutes (country back road) I heard a truck coming down the hill. I heard the screech of tyres as it first missed the roo then a swerve around my bike and missed me by inches. He did a U'y and stopped, then took off. 5 minutes later he was back (went to farm house to ring for an ambo) with a hip flask of rum to help till they arrived. Blood test at hospital positive. He came to court and swore he gave it too me so I beat the DUI rap.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #10 on: 28.07. 2015 15:45 »

It's gone, WozzA have you turned shy or has the censor intervened, ? didn't offend anyone I don't think, mind good job you didn't have a hernia *smile*

proper good bruising though, reminds me of my many pulled calf muscles

Naaaa...  I took it down Bill...   I was getting too many offers from GUEST  *eek*   *whistle* 
'51 Golden Flash Plunger

Melbourne

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 28.07. 2015 16:45 »
Yeah – I’ve broken/mangled/squished various bits and bobs. Mostly through outright foolishness and/or inattention rather than anything heroic or noteworthy. I’ve not broken a full set of bones but I’ve been pretty much x-rayed top to bottom over the years. Had my head done a couple of times – they couldn’t find anything.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #12 on: 29.07. 2015 00:56 »
I got a mate who used to come visit me from Townsville to Melbourne via the Alice over 4300Kms
3 or 4 times a year, he has hit several roos..  BUT the funniest was when he hit a Galah..
WILD HOGS style...  He was nearly knocked out & ended up with a black eye...
He posted what happened on another motorcycle site & one wag who was noted for his sense of humor came up with this...  we still laugh about it..
'51 Golden Flash Plunger

Melbourne

Offline larryc

• A's Best Friend
  • Back into BSA after 45 years!
« Reply #13 on: 29.07. 2015 16:13 »
Back in 1970 @ 16 years old I had a Tiger Cub and was going to College, 100yds from College in Accrington, an old Mk1 Cortina pulled out from a side street, I hit him on the wing / door 'A' post and went over the roof, at 16 years old I was back on my feet in seconds, unhurt I ran to the front of his car, kicked his rad grill and told him what I thought of him. I could hardly walk for a week, I was wearing pumps and no lid (pre trainer and compulsory lid days)
Bent forks were the result and I still rode it 6 miles home! His car packed in and would not start which made my day, especially when we pushed it back into the side street and saw the car shaped patch of rust dust where most of his floor must have fallen off!!!
All ended well he gave me £25 to settle without an insurance claim and I had spare forks at home, £25 was two weeks wages for me, I bet I had a good weekend down the Imperial (Nelson) the bikers/rockers place to be in the early 70's..... memories

mucky hands again, great!