Author Topic: Ariel type rear hub spacer  (Read 472 times)

Offline Sandy

• Active
  • OriginalRocker
Ariel type rear hub spacer
« on: 05.08. 2015 19:28 »
Anybody any idea of the correct length of the bearing spacer that fits inside the Ariel type hub? This is the tubular effort with 2 square flanges part way along, part no. 42-6085. Mine is 2.633 in., which seems an odd size as I usually find things like that are a standard fractional figure. The reason I ask is that I've an idea the back wheel bearings are loading up when I tighten the spindle.

Regards,
Sandy
Regards
Sandy

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Ariel type rear hub spacer
« Reply #1 on: 05.08. 2015 20:43 »
G'day Sandy.  *welcome*
I've got a spare hub down the bottom shed. I'll look tonight (your morning) for you. Someone else might have one at hand.
Now get over to Bikes, Pictures and Members and give us an intro.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Sandy

• Active
  • OriginalRocker
« Reply #2 on: 05.08. 2015 21:11 »
Hi, M,

Good to hear from Oz (my old man was from Geelong!). That's very good of you. I,d appreciate that.
Regards
Sandy

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 06.08. 2015 10:13 »
G'day Sandy.
It is the rear we're talking about? Mine measures 2 5/8" = 2.625". If yours does measure 2.633" somethings amiss. Does the wheel spin with the drive side tightened up? Are they new brake shoes? Back the square adjuster out and loosen the torque arm and tighten the axle.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Sandy

• Active
  • OriginalRocker
« Reply #4 on: 06.08. 2015 10:42 »
Hi, M,

Thanks for that. Mine at 2.633" is only 0.008" over. I would have thought that was well within mfg. tolerances for what it is. (lots of years in engineering inspection). However, I,ll stick it in the lathe and take a skim. I've done all the rest of the stuff. It's just an impression that the back wheel isn't quite as free as it might be as I take up the final tension on the spindle. Perhaps it's just me being a bit picky after having the brake re-lined and then having to put the brake plate complete with shoes in the lathe and skim the linings so that they were actually round and concentric-the lining thickness varied by 0.040"! That's a lot of bedding in.... Incidentally I've done a fair mileage since, so I don't think it's the brake binding as it still feels the same with everything (cable, square adjuster etc) all slackened off. Old bikes, eh?
Thanks for your trouble-also for the welcome 'flag'!
Cheers
Regards
Sandy