Author Topic: Knee pads  (Read 1095 times)

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
Knee pads
« on: 03.08. 2015 20:42 »
Who's the expert on getting a good fit to the tank?

Having painted a tank and fitted new knee pads I'm unhappy with the fit.  The edges just don't sit down where they are supposed to and the gaps are going to upset my sleep.

Does anyone have any wise words or tips to help improve the fit, please?

Should I bend the 3-point retaining fixture?  Apply heat?  Wait and see?  What do you do?

Grateful for any advice, thanks.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Good Friend
Re: Knee pads
« Reply #1 on: 03.08. 2015 21:07 »
hi,
   i have still the same problem,after trying super glue,evo stick and black silicone sealant .All left over night/days with a strap around the tank to keep the rubbers tight to the metal,none ever lasted more than a few days.

Its not the end of the world ,but i know its not right and my eyes get drawn to them on every trip out of the shed !!
I shall follow this post with interest.
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.08. 2015 04:22 »
Are there different rubbers or rubber mounting methods? I have a metal plate around 1.5mm thick inside the rubbers, which I spent an hour or two bending to suit the tanks contour, the rubbers fit ok having done that.

The rubbers I have have a lip all around them which is trapped between the plate and tank when the two screws are done up. The plate is obviously slightly smaller than the rubbers but otherwise the same shape.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #3 on: 04.08. 2015 06:17 »
The tank I have has rubbers with 3 pockets moulded in, 1 at each corner, to fit over the ends of 3 legged plates screwed to each side. 2 sides of the triangular pads fit flush to the tank but the 3rd does not. I suspect perhaps one of the pockets is not quite deep enough. If that's the case it's difficult to see how to change that and I'm reluctant to modify the original metal plate, except by a bit of bending
Getting the new pads on is also a struggle, which doesn't encourage repeated fitting and removal, for fear of splitting them. Perhaps there's a trick to fitting that I'm unaware of.

Terry

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #4 on: 04.08. 2015 08:54 »
After a bit of Googling this begins to sound like a common problem. I should have remembered these are British bikes and pattern parts - almost invariably requiring some 'attention' to assemble.
I often wonder what it must have been like to work on the line at Smallheath, perhaps on 'piecework' with output subject to design and quality control deficiencies.
Terry

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 04.08. 2015 13:12 »
Keep your knees firmly pressed against them (similar to advice received from my mother as it happens).
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #6 on: 04.08. 2015 15:07 »
Yes, would concur mine has exactly the same problem .It uses the contraption with the 3 points they seem to move out of line as you stretch the pad to fit it and don't spring back. I have a set of the plates which didn't fit so if anyone would like 'em drop me an e-mail. I also fitted the grey pads which was another mistake ,they discoloured from grey to a very strange colour , Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 04.08. 2015 15:48 »
not a lot to be done unfortunately, they just don't make them stretchy enough as In days of yore, not enough rubber in the mix but then there's  maybe a rubber tree still standing somewhere in the Amazon  *conf*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
Re: Knee pads (updated)
« Reply #8 on: 08.08. 2015 04:38 »
As previously posted (above), I was losing sleep over poorly fitting knee pads on the '60 model Super Rocket tank.  Something had to be done.

In fitting the new pads I naively thought that there would be no preparation required.  In other words, I expected them to fit 'straight out of the packet'.  The results were not impressive so I took a closer look at the pad moulding and the 3-pointed retaining piece (pic 1).  The moulded ribbing was interfering with the retainer and the round headed screws holding the retainer to the tank, preventing the pad from fitting flush.

Perhaps the fit would improve if the offending ribbing was removed.  Therefore I cut away the ribbing broadly in line with the shape of the retainer, as you can see in pic 1.  (The unmolested pad for comparison is one from a second set I seem to have bought in error).

The fit was improved a lot and pic 2 shows the fitted modified pad - on the rhs but I think that's easy to see.

Although not perfect I'm a lot happier with the appearance of the modified pads and pic 3 shows both fitted after surgery.

I've also learnt that it is much, much easier to fit the pads with the tank on the bike.  Holding a tank still on the bench while wrestling the pad into place really needs a second pair of hands.

With the usual 20/20 hindsight I can see I should have been more critical and done a bit more planning when first fitting the pads.
Terry

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 08.08. 2015 19:45 »
HI All,
I'm pretty sure I posted before on how I stuck the knepads to my SR chromed tank ??
Anyway I used this
http://www.bostik.co.uk/construction/product/evo-stik/Gripfill-Adhesive/330

No brackets and held them in place with insulatin tape till it set,
It must be going on 15 years ago now and they havn't budged, even with some accidental petrol spillages

Works for me
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)