Author Topic: What battery?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
What battery?
« on: 16.08. 2015 19:59 »
Gents

Before you read on, don't forget i'm VERY new to classic bike ownership.

My battery died today and i'm writing this from a pub while i wait for the recovery truck!

On a car i'd just nip down to local shop and get new battery, then check and replace alternator if necessary.

However, i need 6v and i just don't understand the charging system on my a10 golden flash yet. I also don't know where to go or what to ask for, for a replacement battery - i also wonder, while i'm doing this, if there's an 'upgrade' battery i could be buying here?

All suggestions for what to do next gratefully rdcieved

I'm running electronig ignition, and i have fitted indicators (which i think sre the cause of my woes). Otherwise, the bike is standard.

Cheers

Sam

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: What battery?
« Reply #1 on: 16.08. 2015 20:52 »
G'day Sam.
Are you sure it's a dud battery or just flat from lack of charge?
What breed of electronic ignition and coils?
AGM batteries are my preference.  http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffybatteries.htm
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 16.08. 2015 21:23 »
Any 6v motorcycle battery that fits in the compartment will do. Some are better or more appropriate than others, but for now and in your circumstances, buy a cheap battery whilst you get your electrics sorted out. Once sorted you can afford to be fussy! Make sure the charging system is working properly by a) checking the dynamo output, then b) checking the regulator function at the battery.... You may find the following link useful for step-by-step testing of your charging system. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxwcmlvcnltYWduZXRvc3xneDoxOTM3YTc1ZTUzNTdlMjll&pli=1

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 16.08. 2015 23:28 »
Thanks all for the swift and helpful replies.

Just got home. It's late and i'm wrecked.

First job tomorrow is 'buy a 6v charger'. It seems too good to be true... Given the price... But my local store has one of these. Do you think it will work and would it then work as a battery protecter, say over the winter?:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/6v-sealed-lead-acid-battery-charger-500ma-lj92a

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 16.08. 2015 23:58 »
Actually: ignore that, i think i've worked out it's not going to work.

Thanks gor help so far.

Cheers

Sam

beezermacc

« Reply #5 on: 17.08. 2015 06:47 »
I can supply a 6v / 12v switchable battery charger for £9.99, great little piece of kit. I also supply sealed 6v batteries for under £10, that will go in the post and I can help you with all your electrical problems. Just give me a ring www.priorymagnetos.co.uk

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 17.08. 2015 08:24 »
I'm going to put a new post up so ignore this one now. Will be in this forum section.

Cheers

Sam

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.08. 2015 09:26 »

Sam- don't ignore B-maccss offer...!!!!!!..at least call him, I would.
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 17.08. 2015 09:45 »
Yep - sorry - I appreciate that looks rude, not mean to be. Just a bit wrecked from a late night dealign with recovery truck... and stress of trying to work out how to tackle this.

I've put up a separate post with a 'battle plan'. In that, when it comes to diagnosing faults, there is a point at which I might be getting my dynamo serviced in which case I'll be in touch. And thank you B MAc for the offer of someone to talk to about electrical woes.

As for batteries: I've just ordered one from local shop. More expensive but much less faff (for me) than trying to get things delivered: In simple terms, getting things delivered just doesn't work for me (I'm at work 10 hours a day and local sorting office is not open when I'm not at work! Can take weeks for me to be able to pick anything up).

Cheers

Sam

Offline Johnny J

• A's Good Friend
  • A10 Golden Flash 1960
« Reply #9 on: 17.08. 2015 13:32 »
Thanks all for the swift and helpful replies.

Just got home. It's late and i'm wrecked.

First job tomorrow is 'buy a 6v charger'. It seems too good to be true... Given the price... But my local store has one of these. Do you think it will work and would it then work as a battery protecter, say over the winter?:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/6v-sealed-lead-acid-battery-charger-500ma-lj92a

No this will "trickle charge" the battery. If it means what I think, it will start chargning as soon as the voltage goes down to around 6.4V and charge it up to 7.2V and start over again as the voltage drops. This will put unnecessary wear on the battery.

It's better to disconnect one lead during the winter and do a "top up" every 2 or 3 months.

---Oh sorry, missed the ignore comment....well don't feel like erasing it..
   Gothenburg, Sweden