Author Topic: A10 6 spring clutch - wrong centre?  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Stuartb

• Active
A10 6 spring clutch - wrong centre?
« on: 17.08. 2015 11:00 »
Hello all, just joined the forum, looks like all my questions can be answered here!
I have a '54 s/a Golden Flash which was supposedly restored. The clutch was an abomination, so I replaced the basket and plates together with lots of other bits. The result is a VERY heavy clutch action. I've spent lots of time reading various topics here on the forum and studying the limited number of photos of the clutch available and I've come to the conclusion that the clutch centre is not off a Flash. On the photo I found, the tongues of the centre appear to protrude through the top plate by about 1/4". On my setup the tongues aren't even flush with the corresponding slots (see photo), implying that my centre is too short. In turn, I think the spring studs are too short, giving me an excessively tight clutch.  Any guidance on this will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Stuart

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A10 6 spring clutch - wrong centre?
« Reply #1 on: 17.08. 2015 12:06 »
Hi Stuart,
Welcome to the forum,
It would be good if you posted an introduction to yourself and your BSA here.
http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?board=13.0

Your clutch may have an inner part from a B31 or a C11 fitted ?
These use fewer plates and consequently shorter studs,
Check the parts lists for the correct number of plates and make sure this is correct
You could try and use what you have with a lesser number of plates? and see if you are going to
persist with the six spring clutch
As you may have read a lot of owners upgrade?? to a 4 spring Triumph type clutch
Of course fitting this is not without its issues either *ex*

Regards
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.08. 2015 18:48 »
...are going to persist with the six spring clutch...

I seem to remember reading here that the the plunger six spring type is not too bad. Is that correct? I certainly don't have any complaints about mine.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 17.08. 2015 22:15 »
My eyes may be deceiving me but the pressure plate looks like one from a B31 or something with a four plate clutch.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 18.08. 2015 00:39 »
I seem to remember reading here that the the plunger six spring type is not too bad. Is that correct? I certainly don't have any complaints about mine.

Yes GB.. I agree mine works good too- the later S/a four spring one is vaguely similar to the Plunger six spring, but the early S/a six spring clutch is the piece of junk of most everyone's woes
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 18.08. 2015 22:52 »
Gees Dutch, with a bit of effort the swinging arm six spring clutch can be made to work as well as any other.
I will admit that it is a bit heavy, though. It takes a bit of adjusting to get it to be easy enough to work without slipping.

Offline Stuartb

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 19.08. 2015 10:15 »
Hi all,thanks for your responses! It sounds as though my suspicions are on the right track. Despite all the bad comments about the 6 spring job, I think I'm going to stick with it, mainly because I've spent a fat wedge on this one already, and also because I'm dogmatic enough to believe that it must be possible to get this thing to behave the way it should! Chaterlea - I'll do as you suggest and introduce myself in the thread you given, just moved house so things are chaotic here and it may take a little time!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 19.08. 2015 11:41 »

Good luck with it Stu-b...I'm a bit like that too(dogmatix), but Trev in the case of mine I think(from memory) the small amount of thread and spline on the inner is what I had most issue with, and short on options or information finally replaced it with a M20 clutch until it sadly left my life- for the better...
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 19.08. 2015 12:51 »
Hi Stu b ,GB, dutch ,john and Trevinoz,  re the plunger clutch memories of my first plunger are of a pretty good device which required next to no adjustment and gave no problems whilst I tried my best to break it as only a 16 yr old could but never did  ,it was followed next by my first experience of a 6 spring unit (that was the only time I ever though about jacking in BSA's ), my disgust of which I have remarked here about quite often . It went in the bin and I've always used 4 spring units since ,as john says not without there own problems but I've never been left at the side of the road by which did happen frequently during my brief time using the 6 spring. Trev, I believe that your  unit would work and work well due to your eneat perfectionism , I know I'd never be able to achieve that so I stick with what I know. Best of luck Stu.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 19.08. 2015 22:40 »
"Perfectionism" Bob? Not likely but I like to make things work as intended. *wink2*