Author Topic: Puncture repair kit  (Read 288 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Puncture repair kit
« on: 17.08. 2015 19:06 »
It occurred to me that I don't have a motorbike puncture outfit. Are you folks able to get hold of tubed puncture kits?

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Puncture repair kit
« Reply #1 on: 17.08. 2015 19:45 »
you could buy one of these http://www.stopngo.com/deluxe-tube-type-motorcycle-tire-repair-kit/ or buy a new tube as a spare to carry and save several of her majesties luncheon vouchers.
Or visit Halfords and get a cycle tube repair kit, I've used them in the past without problem although prefer to use the feather edge patches if available
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.08. 2015 19:52 »
you could buy one of these http://www.stopngo.com/deluxe-tube-type-motorcycle-tire-repair-kit/ or buy a new tube as a spare to carry and save several of her majesties luncheon vouchers.
Or visit Halfords and get a cycle tube repair kit, I've used them in the past without problem although prefer to use the feather edge patches if available

I was wondering if bicycle patches would be ok.

How does that engine powered inflator work?

Online terryg

• Valued Contributor
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #3 on: 17.08. 2015 20:33 »
I've used cycle puncture repair kits at home with success. It's important to have patches that are large enough, obviously, but motorcycles can suffer small punctures too.
My biggest problem has been ensuring the rubber solution is still 'in date '.
Carrying a spare inner tube seems like a good plan to me. Oh, and a sufficiently robust set of tyre levers of course.
I often wonder where I will find the lengths of 4 x 2 timber, that I use at home to support the rim, when I need to repeat the exercise en route.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.08. 2015 20:38 »
I wasn't planning to repair a puncture roadside.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 17.08. 2015 21:07 »
only had one puncture on the road in the last 15 years, my good friend riding with me had a spare tube so we just changed it, now whilst building the bike up around the year 2000 I used a cycle patch to repair what had been a very slow leak, I tried to use those little plastic levers you get in the cycle kits, no good of course so I through them into the scrap bucket ( I thought) guess where one of them turned up   *red* *red* *red*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 17.08. 2015 21:27 »
HI All
I will be taking to the grave or wherever the scars and effects caused by a front wheel puncture  *eek*
I believe the puncture was caused by a peeling piece of chrome on the rim?
The tube ripped about 4 inches or so, It was not an old tube but was of far east origin, It was all I could get at the time of fitting the tyre
For a long time I have been very careful about tyre and tube selection, but got caught out on this occasion
I now have to order in replacement,  Michelin, Continental or Metzeler tubes as none of the shops locally stock these
A friend of mine and his Son wound up in hospital not long ago after a patched tube failed  *doh*

So the moral of the story is

Dont patch tubes or fit shite cheapo ones
  *countdown*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #7 on: 27.08. 2015 13:33 »
I wouldn't repair a tube, it's just another source of risk which we can all do without and for what a named tube costs its false economy. Personally my necks worth more than a tenner and after suffering a rear wheel blowout about 12 weeks ago I'm even more certain that it's not reasonable. Just my tuppence worth bOB
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom