Author Topic: New noise  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
New noise
« on: 18.08. 2015 19:47 »
My machine, (Plunger A10) has developed a new noise.  My Davida helmet fits very tight over my ears so it's hard to be sure about the noise; it appears to be from the drive side. It's a kind of rattley grindy sound. The engine still seems the same. The drive chain has been behaving strangely lately; I've been adjusting it and finding it loose again after a ride. Could this noise and chain problem be caused by the gearbox shaft bearing collapsing? I've opened the primary case inspection plug; there are no metal particles in the oil.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: New noise
« Reply #1 on: 18.08. 2015 20:46 »
G'day Graybeard.
Have you tried running her on the centerstand. Turn the idle way up, put her in gear (3rd). Now have a good listen. Apply the rear brake a little to load it all up. Does that make any difference to the noise?
Cheers 
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 18.08. 2015 21:00 »
hi greybeard, you say after a run the chain is loose and needs readjusting.i ve seen similar problems on triumphs with that plunger chain adjuster design where the bolt thread or chaincase thread are worn and under load the bolt is pushed down and loosens with the chain.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 18.08. 2015 21:30 »
G'day Graybeard.
Have you tried running her on the centerstand. Turn the idle way up, put her in gear (3rd). Now have a good listen. Apply the rear brake a little to load it all up. Does that make any difference to the noise?
Cheers

Good idea Musky, I'll try that tomorrow.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 18.08. 2015 21:32 »
...that plunger chain adjuster design where the bolt thread or chaincase thread are worn and under load the bolt is pushed down and loosens with the chain.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear; I'm talking about the secondary chain.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 18.08. 2015 23:44 »
 GB, if there is an issue with your gearbox shaft bearing, I can't imagine how you'd have metal from that in the primary, unless as a result of maybe the clutch slapping around a bit of the sleeve gear bush... unlikely to do it suddenly though. ?. ...I had a maybe similar sound a while ago that turned out to be the chain scraping on a bit of the chainguard ....
 Only thing I can think of for the loose chain, is either rapid wear, or maybe have you lost one of the little adjuster screws that push and hold the axle back...?
 (A bit edited)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 19.08. 2015 09:29 »
No metal in the primary. Chain adjusters present and correct.

If I get a chance I'm going to start closer inspections today. I'll run her on the centre stand in gear and try to home in on the epicentre of the noise. The sound appears to be from the primary side so I'll take the cover off, although using the filler plug hole I can feel that the primary chain is not too sloppy and the case surfaces are not holding any metal filings.

Much later: Nope; no chance yet! I've been the family chauffeur today.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 05.09. 2015 16:20 »
Today the rain stopped and the sun came out; whoopee! *smiley4*
I took the Plunger out for a decent run and I now know what the strange new noise is! The noise is being caused by the innards of the left hand silencer vibrating in sympathy with a certain engine frequency. The noise has no relation to road speed; with the machine on the centre stand it happens on engine over-run after a blip on the throttle.
It's a great relief to realise that I don't have some horrible failure to sort out.  *smile*

Anyone got a good method to tighten up silencer baffles, (apart from taking a hammer to the silencer)?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: 05.09. 2015 22:18 »
Anyone got a good method to tighten up silencer baffles, (apart from taking a hammer to the silencer)?

Emptying a can of PU foam in it...?  *whistle*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 06.09. 2015 09:53 »
Today the rain stopped and the sun came out; whoopee! *smiley4*
I took the Plunger out for a decent run and I now know what the strange new noise is! The noise is being caused by the innards of the left hand silencer vibrating in sympathy with a certain engine frequency. The noise has no relation to road speed; with the machine on the centre stand it happens on engine over-run after a blip on the throttle.
It's a great relief to realise that I don't have some horrible failure to sort out.  *smile*

Oooh stick a goldie silencer on it and get THE TWITTER!
(Nooo not tweets!)

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 10.09. 2015 15:27 »
I have now bought and fitted a new silencer, http://www.feked.com/bsa-a10-gold-flash-650cc-1952-55-silencer.html but have not yet been for a ride.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK