Author Topic: Kickstart R.P.M. ?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline tiggy

• Moving Up
Kickstart R.P.M. ?
« on: 19.08. 2015 12:38 »
Hi, does anyone out there know, or would like to hazard a guess at the R.P.M. a kickstart generates. An unusual question but there is a reason for asking.
Thanks

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
Re: Kickstart R.P.M. ?
« Reply #1 on: 19.08. 2015 12:56 »
Depends on whether you have had your Weetabix.
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 19.08. 2015 13:14 »
or any compression  *smile*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 19.08. 2015 13:15 »
My penny's worth of an estimate - never specifically measured it, but I'd say 'in the 200s' minimum, maybe 300 even? Depends on the size of crankshaft sprocket, kickstart gearing, compression ratio, force of prod etc. And your Weetabix intake natch. Some bikes have rather low-geared kickstarts, but an A feels 'about right' to me and so I'll guess at 250+ with a decent swing from a practised person of ample proportions lauching the assault after one cylinder is just over compression.
Has to be something like that to start the thing, as a mag won't provide a decent regular spark below roughly 100-120 armature rpm (more if it's manual advance and set part-retarded), which = 200rpm+ on the crank. Many need a fair bit more than that. (Hence that sturdy breed seen pushing things out of pub car parks  . . .)
Bill

Offline tiggy

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 20.08. 2015 22:11 »
Thanks for the replies. I have found the A10 starts first kick with weetabix/shreddie intake but only needs a gentle hand push after a mouthful of spinach, I don't recommend olive oil.
The question was prompted because new cdi ignition systems for my latest project need 150 to 300 rpm to create a spark. Seems the old reliable kickstart will do that given the right conditions. It seems like a bit of muscle will match or better a starter motor.
Thanks all.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #5 on: 20.08. 2015 23:52 »
interesting question... there are obviously variations due to engine gearing and the fact that the kicker is accelerating the engine from 0 rpm to the point it fires, so an average won't be useful, rather the speed it achieves at the end of the kick.
I'm no mathematician but assuming a kick takes 1/2 a second to turn the engine one full cycle you'd come up with 120rpm average, so would that equate to 240rpm best speed or thereabouts?
My cooking single happily idles at a gentle thump .. thump, which I'd guess would be no more that a couple of hundred rpm at most.

No facts just guesstimates  *dunno*
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 21.08. 2015 05:09 »
I thought around the same RR. A good tune gives a one kick start. The motor goes through two cycles and usually fires on the first cycle giving the 120rpm figure cred.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Daftmate

• Active
  • Too many projects
« Reply #7 on: 23.08. 2015 22:09 »
Hi All,  I talked my controls engineer mate who thought it would be fun to convert his Triumph Tiger 100 to fuel  injection.  Really ??? However he managed to put a late electronic ignition system on his '66 Triumph Tiger 100. Yours might not be this sophisticated but I thought it may be related to your question and therefore worth a mention just in case.

His system actually was a very compact engine management system.  He got it all running but didn't often start on the kick.  What he found was that the software didn't fire the ignition coil LT very time it got a single pulse from the crank trigger.  Apparently this is to stop false sparking. 

Instead the software looked for three or more regular pulses from the trigger before it triggered the first spark.  Clearly meant for an electric start engine which could merrily spin the motor until ECU saw three regular pulses then it started sparking the ignition.  So this was why the Triumph didn't kick but would always bump. Apparently regular bike upgrade electronic ignitions sold for kick start bikes don't have this need to count to three and spark for every single pule whenever received and doesn't  wait to see a regular pattern of three plus. DM
Daftmate - bikes: A10 GF 1956 plunger, Matchless G3LS, Yamaha HL540, Husqvarna 410, 2x 510, 610.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 24.08. 2015 08:19 »
G'day Daftmate. That sounds like a Dyna 2000 for HD's. Can be set either way, 0 for kickers or 3 for lecky start. The idea being for the starter to build up speed before the big bang. So the leg must be stronger than a 2 horse starter.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7