Author Topic: Damn... uk vintage jet crash  (Read 387 times)

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Damn... uk vintage jet crash
« Reply #1 on: 22.08. 2015 19:29 »
Just seen it on the news... Really bad  *sad2*
On the other hand, a big thank you to those two US Marines on the high speed train from Brussels to Paris for saving the lives of many passengers...
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 23.08. 2015 10:07 »
^^  Yes, very good move from those guys, they may have saved dozens of lives.

About the airshows, we work hard to keep a motorcycle roadworthy, but imagine the immense amount of work, funds & skills going into restoring and maintaining those fantastic old airplanes, sad when anything happens, and extremely sad with causualties on top.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.08. 2015 14:55 »
What a mix of news that is terrible and great.

Great: Turns out the Americans were not marines, for whom you might say, "of course they had the skills to respond to an armed attack, that's the core of their training." Turns out, one was Air Force, one was National Guard and the third was a college student. Then, let's not leave out the British citizen who also jumped in. It's not that Air Force and National Guard don't get combat training, but nothing like that of marines. This makes the real heroism even more impressive. Cheers, for them.

Terrible: With all the places the Hawker might have crashed, it hits a crowded highway filled with motorists on guard against road-hog idiots or just simple driving mistakes only to be crushed or incinerated by a Cold War fighter jet falling out of the sky. The added irony is that the pilot survived and will live the rest of his life wondering why.

Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #4 on: 23.08. 2015 15:48 »
Re the above, all private aircraft, as you probably know, are examined & have to be passed as airworthy. Looking at the pilot's experience, I would rather think of a fuel problem or wind shear, which I have experienced near the ground. Yes, let's hope that the pilot survives this, although he is critical at the moment. He is our chief witness & his verdict of what happened is vital information. I saw the 1952 DH110 disaster at Farnborough, killing nearly thirty people. Absolute carnage. I hope it does not hinder the air shows of the future. Life is a calculated risk wherever you are or whatever we do.
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 23.08. 2015 16:11 »
Stu,

I was not directly blaming the pilot, but trying to imagine his feelings through the rest of his life. This said, in an aerobatic maneuver, my thinking is that there is some responsibility to understand at all times where you come down if there is failure of any system, including the human system. I do understand, to an extent, the  issue of wind shear and other potential problems in flight, being a licensed pilot (long since current). I hope he survives and can overcome the accident and enjoy his family.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #6 on: 23.08. 2015 20:26 »
I was not, & would not, blame the pilot in any way. Let's hope that he makes a good recovery so as to lead a normal life & give vital evidence in the inquiry.
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
    • A10 GF
« Reply #7 on: 24.08. 2015 12:17 »
Even more victims reported. Very sad story. Condolences. Whatever may be tried regarding security, airshows will always be risky, some voicing a rule to perform only over sea, may be the right move for acrobatics displays and antique jets.

About old airplanes, the work going into keeping such stuff flying... If we think it's trouble gettitng our single speedo working properly, look at this (Hawker cockpit) >

& this

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 24.08. 2015 16:19 »
Absolutely tragic , for everyone involved . My Son was at Chris Evans bash in Cheshire ,where the Folland Gnat went in ,He and his partner were really cut up by it .
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 24.08. 2015 18:28 »
Tragic on so many levels, our thought are with the families of those who lost there lives of course, and those of us who love to see these old planes fly will have some difficulties with that as well.
I heard on the news one of the dangers the police face is the charge in the ejector seat so from that it seems the pilot stayed with it or was not able to make that decision.

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco