Author Topic: scrambler progress  (Read 360 times)

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
scrambler progress
« on: 24.08. 2015 01:59 »
Messed around with the '54 and the RGS scrambler today. Spent  a couple hours fitting the 2 into 1 pipes on the '54. Still no clamps but with careful trimming at the head end got the bracket to to align with the mounting bolt. Not quite happy with it, but progress. Moved on to the RGS scrambler. Finally got the right axle and spacer to go with the fork lowers and 7" brake (Gold Star parts). Didn't realize until then that the front wheel is a QD same as the rear. Well, not quite the same as someone in the past laced an 18" rim to the rear hub. Guess that's why the chrome is so much better than the front. Looked at my spares and have a really nice 19" WM2 Dunlop laced to a full width hub. Guess I'll try my hand at wheel building this winter and swap the rim. Depending how that goes, I may do the rear as well to return it to stock.
  Finally pulled what I thought was the clutch out of it's box and what the hell????? 2 sets of plates, 2 covers, 1 chain wheel, and one hub that came from who knows what? Doesn't match up with any of the clutch plates! Oh well, hopefully I've got most of one clutch. I'll buy the parts to complete a set  and the other ('54) may just get the belt drive conversion.
  If building a bike from a pile of parts was easy, anybody could do it! Honestly, though, I've been watching for a reasonably priced complete bike just so I could be riding sooner and have a template for a better idea what parts I'm missing.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: scrambler progress
« Reply #1 on: 24.08. 2015 03:07 »

Yep I'm hearing you there. ..re box of bits  *conf*
 If I read that right and you're figuring to change from a 18" rear to a 19", I expect you've considered scrambler tyre options in 19"...?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
Re: scrambler progress
« Reply #2 on: 24.08. 2015 14:59 »
The scrambler is so far from complete that I haven't even thought about tires. Honestly, my intent is to sell it at some point. The '54 will be a keeper. The scrambler will help pay for the '54. An RGS may be the holy grail to purists, but with limited budget I just want an A10 to ride, polish, and admire.  My thinking is that running, shifting, stopping will maximize return on investment in the scrambler.