Author Topic: front forks "clanking"  (Read 4252 times)

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: front forks "clanking"
« Reply #15 on: 18.06. 2012 07:06 »
So did George Formby.......and Tiny Tim!

Offline andy2565

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 18.06. 2012 09:13 »
i think with the dow two way kit, it was supplied with a longer top bronze bush,this is the only reason that it would shorton travel,but only on full extension.
near wolves uk,will keep riding as long as can stay upright,tribsa,tt500,2xJAP grasstrackers+jawa.gold flash.triumph metisse,and others.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 18.06. 2012 15:18 »
 In spite of 2 way damping , wouldn't longer top bushes increase chance to 'top out' ??

Orabanda, you're onto it, probably got banjos over there too..?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline andy2565

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 18.06. 2012 22:02 »
yes it would dutch,maybe the oil has leaked out at some point,would like to find out whats causing it,i remember hearing a noise from the front end of a bullet i was riding once,a few seconds later the front stays broke spun the mudguard around,lock the wheel and hey presto fired me over the bars,now if i hear anything out of the ordinary,i stop and put my mind at ease before i get back on.
near wolves uk,will keep riding as long as can stay upright,tribsa,tt500,2xJAP grasstrackers+jawa.gold flash.triumph metisse,and others.

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 10.07. 2012 11:04 »
Are you sure your headstock bearings don't have play in them, can be mistaken for fork rattle.

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 10.07. 2012 17:38 »
Just a thought chaps - I get such a clanking noise when one or other of my front mudguard stays (the ones at the top) have fatigue fractured. You need to look closely to spot the split, usually just by the fixing screws where the tube has been swaged down flat. I'm on maybe my forth or fifth over a couple of years.
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #21 on: 10.07. 2012 21:48 »
The RGS tubelar centre mudguard stay BSA part number 42-6547 was never satisfactory. You need the BSA redesigned upgrade for the RGS front mudguard.
I'm on maybe my forth or fifth over a couple of years.
This is a well known inherent design fault with the Rocket Gold Star, and it was for this reason that BSA actually produced a different centre front mudguard stay that was flat in section for that particular application. The BSA part number is 68-6547. This flat stay was BSA's solution to the problem of breakage, and it does not fracture. Next time your centre stay fails order the flat stay, and you will have no more problems in that area.

John