Author Topic: What's this tank off?  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
What's this tank off?
« on: 20.08. 2006 17:54 »
I was interested in reading Bill's story of buying an A10 and converting it into a cafe racer.  I,m doing the opposite.  The box of bits that I bought resembled a late 1950's A10 cafe racer and I am in the process of bringing it back to (sort of) standard trim.

During the process of swapping and purchasing useful parts in order to progress this project I have obtained a fuel tank that appears to be quite odd.  It resembles a centre bolt fixing A7/A10 tank but it only has one fuel outlet.  This tells me that it is probably from a B31/B33.  The most wierd thing about it is the fact that it has the large alloy type pearshape badges that I believe were not available until the late 1960's.......nearly 10 years after this tank was made!! 

At first I thought that somebody had very cleverly modified the indentations to accept the later style badges but I am now thinking that the job is far too neat and there is no sign of cataloy when I run a magnet over the worked area.  Have any of you guys come across this type of tank before and can anyone suggest to which bike it might have been originally fitted?   *dunno*

My curiosity has the better of me on this one.

Beezageezauk

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: What's this tank off?
« Reply #1 on: 20.08. 2006 18:06 »
Sorry Beezegeezauk if I gave the impression I was building a cafe racer, the bike was a cafe racer when I bought it, I'm doing something similar to you and bringing it back to something I can ride without overtaxing sixtytwo year old vertibrea.

Tank looks like very late sixties/seventies model of some kind

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 20.08. 2006 19:05 »
 I think the early pear shaped badges were smaller than those in your photo. I wondered if it could be an A65 tank, modified to take earlier knee pads:

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/bsa_a_65_thunderbolt_1970.php

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 21.08. 2006 17:20 »
Hi Bill and Fido,

Thanks very much for responding to my post.

Yeah Bill, I probably misread your post and put a cafe racer in my mind when you wrote about the high performance engine parts and alloy rims.  I wish you well with the project.

Fido, your comments are welcomed and I agree that the early pear shaped badges were smaller but I am convinced that this is not an A50/65 tank for two reasons.  Firstly my tank doesn't have the rib on top for the chrome strips to cover and the A50/65 fuel taps are set well forward.  Mine is plain on the top and the fuel taps are positioned more towards the rear.  In fact I run a 1958 B31 and a 1960 A10 and this tank is the same shape as both of those except for the oddball badges.

Does anyone else have any ideas??

All donations will be respectfully received.

Beezageezauk.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 21.08. 2006 20:30 »
My other thought was the Fleetstar, Police spec. B25. This had a plain steel tank rather than the fancy shaped Starfire fibreglass type. The only Fleetstar photos I could find show the tank with transfers rather than badges though. *dunno*

Offline BrianDallasTX

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 25.08. 2006 14:51 »
Bondo work? 
Brian
'63 A10 Super Rocket