Author Topic: Gasket cement ? What do you use ?  (Read 4788 times)

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
Re: Gasket cement ? What do you use ?
« Reply #15 on: 09.09. 2015 05:11 »
hi guys, has anyone tried using thin sheet rubber for gaskets that way no cement would be required, I think that I will try it, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 09.09. 2015 05:28 »
Qualifying, "I would think" you can't use it in cases that are dimensionally sensitive like cylinder-base gasket, rocker-box gasket, etc.

Richard L.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 09.09. 2015 08:17 »
Hi guys, yes Richard you also forgot head gasket. I will let you know when I've tried some, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 09.09. 2015 08:46 »
Heat-----and rubber?
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 09.09. 2015 09:31 »
And won't it squeeze out?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 09.09. 2015 09:54 »
Over last winter I made some gaskets up using thin sheet cork which is impregnated with nitrile rubber it is sold as gasket material in sheet form approx 2mm thick I made gaskets for timing case, primary case, and rocker covers I used gasket cement loctite on one side and thin smear of grease on the other side and to date no leaks.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 09.09. 2015 09:59 »
2mm - 80 thou, right? Does that compress much? I'd be reluctant to use that for rocker covers.

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #22 on: 09.09. 2015 12:11 »
Silicon gasket cement works well for new and clean surfaces.
In modern cars etc.
It is more difficult with old and well used materials such as alloy that has soaked in oil for decades.
When the alloy heats up, it release oil and silicon will then not stick to the surface.
Result: leaky covers etc.
I tried silicon on the rocker box on my MY54 T110    Bad choice…. 
Rubber will get soft when heated and “wander about”
Regrinding the primary covers and fitting a copper gasket might be the way 

I lot of old fellows are happy with “Wellseal” 
I used red Hematite and green Hematite.  But they are no longer available and my stock Is running dry…

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #23 on: 09.09. 2015 17:11 »
The cork compressess down to about half the thickness I have just had the covers off today to check valve clearances  and refitted with no leaks.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #24 on: 11.09. 2015 12:50 »
noobish question about Hylomar, which is my new favourite: is it likely to cause trouble to oilways like some other sealants / silicone?

and would silicone be ok around a poorly fitting primary case given it's oil is separated from the rest of the engine?

thanks
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 11.09. 2015 13:22 »
Fresh Hylomar Blue is thin so easily spread with a small brush. There should be very little extruded around the joint. A wipe with a petrol damped rag cleans the still damp Hylomar off the outer surfaces.

I normally use Hylomar with paper gaskets but my primary case is currently leak free with just Hylomar because I didn't want to wait for a new gasket to arrive.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 11.09. 2015 18:33 »
 Well, this is an opinion question so I will give my opinion.

Threebond (same as yamabond, kawibond, etc- I really believe all the same thing with a different name) is my choice for places that are a little shaky as far as good mating surfaces. This is a semi drying compound, so any that squeezes out into the motor itself will break up and not plug up the pump or oilways. Thats not to say you should not be very careful and use it sparingly.

Silicone of any kind is a no-no in my book. It dries very stuff, will break off, and is not going to break up in a motor. Those little balls and worms of silicone will plug things up. Plus, when I go to any kind of show and see things put together with orange or blue silicone sticking out at every mating surface I automatically think "guy had no idea what he was doing, wonder if the rest is put together that badly". Prejudice? Maybe, but it is an opinion thread.

For paper gaskets I like Gaskacinch. Spread it on both contact surfaces, both sides of gasket, gently place the gasket and done. This stuff has been around forever for good reason. I imagine they will still be making it 50 years from now also.

I wonder if anyone will start making gaskets for us out of the new composite materials Harley and the others use. I cannot recall the name of them right now, but no sealant necessary and they are good over and over (or so they say, but then again most of those guys dont mind if they are lubricating the driveway every time they park ;))
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 21.09. 2015 08:03 »
I wonder if anyone will start making gaskets for us out of the new composite materials Harley and the others use.

Interesting - I had the primary down on my Sportster earlier in the year (alternator in the back of the clutch drum had expired expensively - boo hoo). Replacement gasket was of good quality and appeared to be pre-prepared with a bead of some kind of material (quite hard, non sticky) applied to just one side. All went back together with no leaks; all I did was oil it before putting it back together - no extra sealant.

Offline Gasket4450

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #28 on: 22.09. 2015 10:48 »
Hello Viking,
                           My personal preference is ' Wellseal ' if you can get it. It is like a sticky brown treacle, and never sets permanently. When I removed the A10 rockerbox covers the last time, it was still sticky after 1500 miles.  However, my local auto parts stockist says he can no longer get it ( not sure why ), so had to resort to Fleabay, where it is readily available. Not the cheapest on the market, but it is good stuff, and a little goes a long way. Cleans off with carbon tetrachloride easily, or with white spirit ( a bit more work required ), as very sticky. Works for me.
Best Wishes
Norman
1960 A10, alive and thriving. 1959 A7 living on borrowed time !

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 22.09. 2015 11:01 »
I wonder if anyone will start making gaskets for us out of the new composite materials Harley and the others use.

Interesting - I had the primary down on my Sportster earlier in the year (alternator in the back of the clutch drum had expired expensively - boo hoo). Replacement gasket was of good quality and appeared to be pre-prepared with a bead of some kind of material (quite hard, non sticky) applied to just one side. All went back together with no leaks; all I did was oil it before putting it back together - no extra sealant.

Yes, thats the stuff.

I have seen the gaskets blue bodied with the bead orange, light blue body with dark blue bead, and all black. I dont know if there is any difference besides color- but they certainly do seem to work even on less than perfect surfaces.
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.