Author Topic: Gasket cement ? What do you use ?  (Read 4787 times)

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
Re: Gasket cement ? What do you use ?
« Reply #30 on: 07.03. 2016 15:33 »
Draganfly stock 'Wellseal' not sure of the price though.

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #31 on: 08.03. 2016 21:11 »
Draganfly stock 'Wellseal' not sure of the price though.

Got my Wellseal off ebay about £9 for 100ml tube(will last forever)

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 08.03. 2016 22:23 »

Of late, I've been using grey Three-Bond, the guy who sold it to me has since said the white stuff works better  *dunno*  *conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 10.03. 2016 11:04 »

Of late, I've been using grey Three-Bond, the guy who sold it to me has since said the white stuff works better  *dunno*  *conf*

Dutch,

If your tube has the numbers "1104" or "1184" on it, you have the right stuff. I am not sure if its chemical content was to high for regulations or what, but it used to just be "1184"....now its hard to find that but "1104" is common and seems identical. Its Grey, and is a synthetic rubber product.

Anything white from Three Bond is their brand of silicone sealant, so I think a guy could save some money not buying the Three Bond name and just slather on some orange or blue stuff. I dont like silicone for motors, but that just a personal opinion.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 10.03. 2016 11:42 »
I think a poll of favourite gasket sealants might be informative
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline jonaf

• Moving Up
  • Jon A. Fredheim, Norway
« Reply #35 on: 10.03. 2016 15:53 »
Crankcase and gearbox sealing surfaces: Yamabond. Rocker box & valve covers: paper gaskets with a smear of Blue Permatex Silicone on one side. Same with clutch housing, oil sump plate and cylinder base flange. Head gasket:  Permatex Copper Spray-a-gasket.
My SR is totally oil tight and it is now more than ten years since I assembled it.
'60 BSA A10 Super Rocket
'17 HD 1000 Model F project
'73 Honda XL 250 Motosport
'73 Honda Dax ST 50
'86 Yamaha FJ1314

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #36 on: 24.03. 2016 12:56 »
I have always avoided using gaskets unless the joint just wouldn't seal..i do spend a bit of time getting the surfaces flat.....glass and sandpaper

my 50 A10 has only 2 gaskets... gaskets under cylinder...and head gasket....
I just use Loctite 514 ... 

I have always been told...if you want to leak a bit...use gaskets...or if you don't ...just match the surfaces...and it works for me...
just like crankcases

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #37 on: 26.03. 2016 09:03 »
Well yes and no.
Gaskets are required when the rate of expqnsion varies between the two things being bolted together.
They either will move with respect to each other or fracture.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 26.03. 2016 10:17 »
I have always been told...if you want to leak a bit...use gaskets...or if you don't ...just match the surfaces...and it works for me...
just like crankcases

yes with regard the crankcase no sealant works for me, other places though like the gearbox covers can cause problems without the designed gasket.
I had to put two gaskets in one of the covers to get the gear change to work correctly, I assume the gaskets I bought were thinner than original spec
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Gasket4450

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #39 on: 30.05. 2016 12:53 »
         Yup, Wellseal for me every time.  My local stockist, normally very good, says he can't get it anymore, something to do with The Nanny State thinking people might eat it or stick their eyelids together, or something. Get mine from Fleabay now, but a tube lasts a long time. Easy to separate, use white spirit to remove it ( ....but you have to rub it hard....ooh, err, missus!!! ).  Don't tend to use anything on copper head gaskets.

Norman T
1960 A10, alive and thriving. 1959 A7 living on borrowed time !

Offline cableguide

• Moving Up
  • south coast uk
« Reply #40 on: 30.05. 2016 17:01 »
Blue Hylomar,  which will only work if you degrease surfaces with trych (i find it hates a greasy surface)
Tighten from the middle out.....= no leaks, plus I agree it just looks better...and if its good enough for RR and Jaguar then it has be ok I think.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 15.07. 2016 08:21 »
Here's a little tip for using RTV type sealants like Yamabond and '3-Bond' (my favourite). Coat the surfaces (Obviously the mating faces MUST be flat beforehand). Don't put on a sealant thickly, just an even 'smear' should be enough. Screw / bolt up the casing 'snugly' but don't tighten it completely -Just 'tweak it'. Let it 'go off' - overnight, (or for a few hours), then come back later and fully tighten the screws/bolts to final torque. What this does is, it lets the compound solidify conforming to the mating surfaces BEFORE final tightening. Then when you finally tighten the screws, the compound doesn't squeeze out of the joint, because it has solidified, it just compresses, sealing the joint properly. If you just tighten it all up while the compound is 'fresh', it just squeezes the compound out of the joint and later, with temp changes and inherent metal distortion the seal can open up.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 15.07. 2016 08:34 »
Crankcase and gearbox sealing surfaces: Yamabond. Rocker box & valve covers: paper gaskets with a smear of Blue Permatex Silicone on one side. Same with clutch housing, oil sump plate and cylinder base flange. Head gasket:  Permatex Copper Spray-a-gasket.
My SR is totally oil tight and it is now more than ten years since I assembled it.
I don't believe you !!!  ;)  10 years? - Surely it's an impossibility with a standard A10. What other mods have you done?

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 15.07. 2016 09:19 »

Quote from: jonaf on 10.03. 2016 15:53

I don't believe you !!!  ;)  10 years? - Surely it's an impossibility with a standard A10. What other mods have you done?

More relevant- what kind of mileage do you do?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia