Author Topic: Regulator ..  (Read 1835 times)

Offline A.t.d.c. 1.

• Active
Regulator ..
« on: 06.09. 2015 18:28 »
Dunno if anyone can help with this one ......I have a solid state 6v. regulator + earth ,that I brought intending to fit to the Rocket ..and I have mislaid sic.the wiring instructions ......I think that I got it in the 90's .no name  on it but a hefty bit of kit ,no fins ,about 4 and 1/2'' long and screwed together ..with only 3 wires ..green,yellow,and black ...Need to know how to wire it up to F.A.D.E. ...Fingers crossed ..Thanks Rich ..

Offline Viking

• A's Good Friend
Re: Regulator ..
« Reply #1 on: 06.09. 2015 19:39 »
Yellow is D connection on the Dynamo
Green is  F connection on the Dynamo
Black is positiv ground, (frame)

http://www.a7a10.net/BSA/techpics/1954%20BSA%20A-10%20Wiring.jpg

But how Can it work with out a Red Purple  wire to the AMP. meter....?

Offline sparx

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 06.09. 2015 20:44 »
If there are only three wires I would expect the unit to get it's positive off the frame at the fixing point, and the black wire to be the connection to the ammeter. Just another example of how positive earth can be confusing in a negative earth world.
  If I'm wrong there's probably a small hole in it somewhere to let the smoke out.   *whistle*
Dave
Peterborough (UK)

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 06.09. 2015 21:18 »
Dunno if anyone can help with this one ......I have a solid state 6v. regulator + earth ,that I brought intending to fit to the Rocket ..and I have mislaid sic.the wiring instructions ......I think that I got it in the 90's .no name  on it but a hefty bit of kit ,no fins ,about 4 and 1/2'' long and screwed together ..with only 3 wires ..green,yellow,and black ...Need to know how to wire it up to F.A.D.E. ...Fingers crossed ..Thanks Rich ..

Sounds very much like the one that Dave Lindsley sold back then. (Had one on mine for years, very good it was.)
I suggest a call to him is your best bet. If you go on that site and click on regulators, can you see one that looks like yours?

http://www.davelindsley.co.uk/

Edit:- Yours is one of his, I'm pretty sure the black wire is your live wire to the battery. DO NOT put it to earth as suggested above!!!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 06.09. 2015 23:49 »
Dave Lindsley renovated my magneto and cured a problem with my dynamo. He's a nice chap.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 07.09. 2015 15:47 »
HI
If its a Dave Lindsley regulator, the dynamo internal wiring needs changing,
It wont work as a direct replacement to the Lucas reg!
Make sure to get the wiring diagram for what you have
HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #6 on: 07.09. 2015 16:55 »
Yup, sounds like a JG Regulator, and Dave Lindsley sells the current versions. If it is, the dynamo does need slightly modding as John says, to what I call 'Miller' spec for shorthand.
The field coil wires that emerge through the brushplate need to be connected one to F (as always) and t'other to D. Ie, the one that would be (is, even?) connected to earth along with one brush needs to be swapped to D, with the earth brush tail being the only thing that is then earthed.  And you'll need to check the rotation if there's any doubt.

I've got a 12v one of these, with blue for D, green for F and black for A, positive earth through the mounting stud(s) - my one has 2 studs. It worked fine for 20 years, and only got replaced because I like DVR2s. If you send me an e-mail address, I'll send you the original (type-written!) maker's instructions for the version I have if you want them. It includes pix of the brush plate etc as wired correctly.
Bill