Author Topic: electrics again!  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
electrics again!
« on: 19.04. 2009 16:17 »
Hi Guy's, still having probs with the electrics on my 58' a10, What I've done so far; put on new DVR2, 12volt battery, bulbs etc, new dip/horn switch the later type that fit around the handlebars and put fuse between battery and ammeter.    With light switch left (off) I have brake light. in the middle position I have back light, pilot light, speedo light,brake light (no front lights). in the right position the fuse blows immediately.     looking at the back of the light switch I have; Terminal 2 dip/horn switch blue wire, T 3 ammeter brown/white wire, T4 pilot bulb red wire, T5 speedo light/rear light brown/green.     I've linked up the earth wires on headlight fitting to the earth (rocker) terminal on the light switch then to a good earth point.    On a gunson's pocketmeter set to I think its NPN (when you touch the probes you get a buzzing sound) and battery disconnected I've put one probe on a terminal on the headlamp fitting (without bulb) and the other one to the body of the dip/horn switch or any other earth, you rock the dip switch and it buzzes off and on, it does it the other way round when you use the other headlight terminal, it does this with the light switch in all positions.The horn won't work, but when I put probe from horn wire to the horn switch body and push the knob it buzzes.   I have put everything I can think of down, and I know it will be obvious to some of you but I'm stumped, I have gone over the wiring with the diagram dozens of times, I know I must be doing something wrong but I can't think what, really appreciate some help on with this, cheers Tony.

Richard

Re: electrics again!
« Reply #1 on: 19.04. 2009 18:07 »
Tone
I take it you have a supply from the battery to the horn as the horn push just earths the other horn wire to chassis to make the circuit
are you wiring positive earth or negative earth?

Richard

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 19.04. 2009 18:21 »
Richard

I'm wiring positive earth, and the horn has a feed from the ammeter.The only thing I'm not sure about is, the rocker wire on the light switch, the one opposite the 7 terminals has a connection for a bullet fitting is this an earth? which I have used it for. There must be a reason why the fuse blows when I put on the lights 3rd position. Tony.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 19.04. 2009 18:37 »
As I said before, there should not be an earth wire to the light switch.

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 19.04. 2009 18:49 »
Fido, Sorry I've got a bit confused about this, what wire goes on that bullet conection (what I refer to as the rocker type connection) on the light switch opposite the 7 terminals.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 19.04. 2009 20:24 »
That part is only connected to terminal 5 so I suggest you run a short wire link with bullet from that terminal to terminal 5. This provides an electrical path to power the tail lamp when the switch is in the main headlamp position.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 19.04. 2009 23:53 »
Tone, ignore the rocker set-up, it is only used with alternators. Probably best to remove it. As stated by others, there is no earth on the light switch.
 Trev.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 20.04. 2009 13:04 »
Tone, ignore the rocker set-up, it is only used with alternators. Probably best to remove it. As stated by others, there is no earth on the light switch.
 Trev.

Ah, perhaps I've never actually seen the part in question. I think my bike has its original switch so will not have any bits associated with alternators. I thought Tone was referring to a connection to the rotating roller part of the switch.

Offline Tone

• Brighton UK
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 20.04. 2009 20:40 »
Guys, I've sorted it, there was a wire shorting out in the new dip/horn switch. Thanks again for all your help. Tony.