Author Topic: removing A10/RGS swinging arm  (Read 1613 times)

Offline sprint

• Valued Contributor
Re: removing A10/RGS swinging arm
« Reply #15 on: 16.09. 2015 22:54 »
Hi
Look at service sheet no. 313, second page: http://classicrider.dk/dokuments/ServiceSheets/sectionB_BSAservicesheetno313.pdf

Markku

Thanks for the link. It certainly looks like you should be able to remove the arm without having to remove the chain case or gearbox and plates if you follow the instructions?

Though I am not too sure just how easy it will/would be to twist/rotate the arm when there is no clearance between the end of pivot ends and the frame mounting plates?

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 17.09. 2015 01:29 »
Well, that's interesting. I'll try it when I dismantle the A7. I guess the protrusion of the inner sleeves provides the clearance for the twisting. Doesn't mention anything about sawing between the plates and the swingarm if the protrusions are stuck in the plates.

Richard L.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #17 on: 17.09. 2015 10:33 »
This is pure memory and at 50 yrs after the event theres noway I'd swear to it but.... in for a penny etc. Anybody else ever see an expander being used just to ease the gusset plates away to allow the s/winging arm to be removed ? Go on tell me I was dreaming  *whistle*
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 17.09. 2015 10:45 »
I sometimes dream of things then come to believe it really happened too!!!!!
But in this case it really is real though.....can't recall exactly which bike it was....AJS maybe... but you had to 'expand' the frame with a huge great threaded thing to get the swingarm out! 
Don't think that would be an option here though.....

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 17.09. 2015 16:53 »
I used a clamp in reverse last time I did one, not to great effect I have to say as the frame is pretty rigid, but every little helps.
From memory (you have been warned) I think I just spread the frame tubes, I might have thought a threaded rod though the other two holes might have just twisted the fillet
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco