Author Topic: A small rattle in the engine department....  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
Re: A small rattle in the engine department....
« Reply #45 on: 18.09. 2015 08:02 »
They seem very reasonably priced in comparison to not checking them...only slightly more than the cost of the fuel I used before it went so very wrong....

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #46 on: 18.09. 2015 08:10 »

.only slightly more than the cost of the fuel I used before it went so very wrong....
Yeah. .. Funny that. .. And they make it so much easier to check anytime you feel the urge *conf*....
 I dug out the pullers I made- no way I'd've found this morning in the half dark. ...Hopefully self explanatory, but I might edit them later on the big screen. ..

edditt...?? They're a bit bodgy, but did the job;- maybe if you can check and confirm the thread form on these plugs, the ones that came out of mine were 7/8" 11TPI which match's 7/8" BSF, but a query here a while ago disputed that, so now I'm curious... and I hope you get the old ones out without too much drama!!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #47 on: 18.09. 2015 09:16 »
found the correct SRM site now, so I'll write directly to them on the Sump trap plugs..
To avoid confusion, they are sludge trap plugs
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #48 on: 18.09. 2015 10:46 »
My home made puller. A large washer with a nut and bolt welded on. Two slots either side (its adjustable!) and I ground off the heads on the two bolts so they would grab the gear. A jubilee clip held it all together and the gear came off very easy...hammer left in the tool box.
The sludge trap (thanks Greybeard for your attention to detail) looks horrible...

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: 18.09. 2015 11:19 »
That puller will now go in the box of home made special tools that we BSA'ers tend to have. In mine there is a tool to help reassemble plunger assemblies, a fork spring compressor, a BTDC piston stop etc.

I'm sure someone will chime in with a great method to get those sludge plugs out. I drilled out the centre punch holes and applied heat, (a plumbers gas torch is your friend), *an impact driver - [see image], (with the near crank web held in the vice*).

Wait till you see the shyte that comes out if the trap hasn't been cleaned for a while!

** Oh dear, now I'm in for a bollocking. The plug came out easily for me so no damage to the crankshaft; honest!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #50 on: 18.09. 2015 11:34 »
Sorry Bill but I think hitting the crank is the last resort before throwing it in the bin.

yep puller is the option of choice, if you have or can make one.

"hitting" covers many sins "tapping" is what I said and tapping is what you do once the puller has put pressure on the pinion - yes
Having  talked to on old blacksmith on our estate for many years and watched him shape, bend and weld metal with some of the many hammers that hung around his forge I conclude a hammer to be a tool of some finesse in the right hands.
(not saying my hands but you get my drift) - ha "drift" it's the way I tell em
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #51 on: 18.09. 2015 13:44 »
The sludge trap (thanks Greybeard for your attention to detail) looks horrible...

I don't think the plug is out. Does anyone see a slot in the plug? i don't. If you're looking for ways to get the plugs out, here's the way I did it:

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=1241.msg8886#msg8886

Oops, sorry. The link in that link is dead. Look,at the post above it.

There are other methods in that thread and elsewhere on the forum. For,example: drilling and using an easy-out instead of a hex key (per my chosen method); enhancing the slot and using a hammer-driven impact tool with a fat screwdriver bit; welding on a bolt that you can get a grip on, etc.  one thing about welding, you can always try that after trying the other methods, but drilling or enhancing the slot really gets difficult after welding.

Richard L.

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #52 on: 18.09. 2015 14:08 »
The plug is not out...I read up on the drilling method option. It looks easier and less traumatic. I've ordered some new sludge trap plugs from SRM, so as long as the old ones come out without damaging the crank, I'll be happy.
Guy

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #53 on: 19.09. 2015 01:17 »
With the hex-key method, as long as you drill in the center of the plug you shouldn't be risking damage to the threads in the crank. Of course, you've already read about lightly drilling out the punch marks used to keep the old plugs in place. Behind the plugs you're going to find a tube inside the crank. This is held in place with the radial flywheel sludge-trap fixing bolt. Not too big a problem if the tube is damaged, as they are readily available. The tube and fixing bolt are not shown on all exploded views of the crank assembly.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #54 on: 19.09. 2015 08:45 »
Behind the plugs you're going to find a tube inside the crank.

No tube in mine.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #55 on: 19.09. 2015 09:21 »

Behind the plugs you're going to find a tube inside the crank.

No tube in mine.

Could be wrong, but I think the small journal cranks didn't have them, just the LJ's...?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #56 on: 19.09. 2015 09:53 »
It would be a small journal unless a PO changed it. The SJ has 6 bolts around inside the of the flywheel.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #57 on: 19.09. 2015 13:09 »
Yes, looking down into the crankcase that's on the bike you can see that it is small journal, and that jive's with it being a '55 (learned by going back to Guy's earliest posts). However, the spare cases are from a later bike, as Guy said. The shape of the crank around the plug, and the size of the plug itself, says to me (am I "hearing things"?) that the spare is large journal.

About that plug, it almost looks like someone tried to weld it over or remove it by the welded-bolt method and failed. Guy, are you sure there is a threaded plug there?

Richard L.

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #58 on: 19.09. 2015 16:40 »
I fortunately ordered both sizes from SRM so I should be covered on plugs. I'm sure they're a minor point the greater scheme of things.
I'v almost got the original engine out of the frame and will probably spilt the crank tomorrow.

I have a related question regarding spanner sizes. I have a fair number of imperial spanners that are marked in fractions etc. I bought them at Halfords in the UK.  With the exception of the 1/2 inch and the 7/16 i think, nothing much else seems to fit. I have a couple of old spanners of my fathers that are marked BS (British Standard?)  Can anyone give me an education on spanners. What should I be using? 

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #59 on: 19.09. 2015 17:11 »
I bought them at Halfords in the UK.

Guy, I think that you might well have bought a set of AF spanners. As far as I know Halfords only sell AF and metric tools.

John