Author Topic: Type of timing side bush?  (Read 459 times)

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
Type of timing side bush?
« on: 16.09. 2015 17:49 »
I need to get a timing side bush for a crank that has been ground -20 thou. and I have two questions.
1. Are steel backed bushes significantly better that those that ar just solid bronze?
2. I will probably need to get the bush finished to fit the crank. If I were to get one for a -30 journal I will be sure that it has enough metal to machine to fit the journal rather than just getting a -20 and hoping it has. Can anyone advise if this is the way to go and if there ar any problems with ths route

Your wise words awaited in anticipation.
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.

Offline wardleybob

• A's Good Friend
Re: Type of timing side bush?
« Reply #1 on: 16.09. 2015 19:21 »
Hy Dean I reline metal back bushes. Just grind the crank till its round it does not mater the size. Then I line bore the cases.to suit.pm me if your stuck.

Offline Dean

• A's Good Friend
Re: Type of timing side bush?
« Reply #2 on: 17.09. 2015 18:05 »
I have just done a search and and found this topic was well covered previously. *red*
The concensus seems to be that either will work equally well but non-steel backed ones are cheaper.

Thanks for your offer Wardleybob, I'll get in touch if stuck.
Never tell people your troubles. Half of them are not interested and the other half are glad you're getting what's coming to you.