Author Topic: Project 1065  (Read 14330 times)

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
Re: Project 1065
« Reply #15 on: 29.11. 2015 19:47 »
 A couple more pics. Milled a tad off the extra fin spacers and they now fit better. Also discovered the head with fins will fit over the barrel studs.

The old exhaust still fits,will probably fiddle with it as it looks odd from some angles.
 Can't fit the powerbox where it used to be as some idiot has machined the mounting hole off.

Front plates,headsteady and a few other bits to do.

I am biased of course but I reckon it looks rather splendid --does not look like  two engines joined together.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 30.11. 2015 05:27 »
It looks quite tall, and really rather sexy - though I do have a predilection for women with (slightly) wonky teeth.
(My pal has a thing for women with a lisp - you should see the places we go when we're on the pull).

And I actually really like the finned top of the A65 motor - almost art deco. Always seems a shame when they get hidden away tucked up under the larger tanks.

Good stuff.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 30.11. 2015 08:55 »
Hydraulic clutch?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #18 on: 01.12. 2015 19:35 »
 Yes ,hydraulically operated clutch pushrod--Ducati master and slave cylinder.

As to the height I reckon there is more daylight above the motor than a std motor, must be the same trick of light/ optical illusion  that makes me look fat.

Carbs do hit the oil tank so the remnants of a solid bar from the offcuts box will become two cranked manifolds.

Must apologise for my unBSA owner like clean hands and nails [I'd only just got back from the nail salon].

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 03.12. 2015 13:56 »
And to think I find it challenging to bend a nice symmetrical fender bracket...................

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 03.12. 2015 16:50 »
Still, I have to ask.......why? Because you enjoy the challenge?

Another answer might be that it was too hard to find spares for a stock A10. Now it is going to be soooo much easier.

Richard L.

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #21 on: 04.12. 2015 21:36 »
 A few pics of the bits to be welded  to the manifolds.The angle is 10 degrees and gives clearance on the oil tank  and still allows the socket caps to go through the holes with a little releiving. I'll blend the angle inside after welding.
  Bunged the primary cover on to see what the drive side will look like. The cover was modded  a few years ago  by welding in a bit of cd175 casing, Tim did moan about the dissimilar materials-- Birmingham 90% grease ,japan 90% rice but it stuck. The end cover was a tad thin after machining off h*nda so I made a new cover .
 The oil filter will still fit where the dynamo  once was but I've got to do a bit of work on the filter take off points.

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #22 on: 19.12. 2015 21:20 »
 Had the motor out and cases apart for a bit of welding.I use a simple tool which makes splitting and assembling the cases easy--the body of a Rover v8 starter motor [ it is a Lucas part but as it's not being asked to do anything electrical it should be ok] but any stout tube with square ends would work.

Removed a 1/4 spacer from behind the gearbox sprocket--this works but the seal has little to cling to . Made a load of  1/4 spacers to move the motor and box to the left.I'll drill and tap the plates so the spacers can be bolted in place--this will thwart the pixies that run off with dropped components on disassembly and prevent drunken fools putting them in the wrong place on assembly. The fuel taps now clear the rocker box nicely.
  Some dog leg front engine plates need to be made and an outrigger set up for the g/box mainshaft which will probably mean another inner primary case.

While apart I took a pic of my matched cases.

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #23 on: 31.12. 2015 17:53 »
 Got some front engine plates that fit. A few spacers and some sort of bracket to hold the power box on [in the church window bit] still required and a tidy up.

The finned box holds the boyer ignition box between the frame tubes and is only really visable from the front. Another oil line will be needed for the feed to the oil filter which sits in the hole in the drive side plate.

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #24 on: 12.01. 2016 19:37 »
 Got a bit more done, a couple of bits of angle for the power box to sit on and a new coil/s mounting bracket between the carbs. The brass bolt will be the main earth.

Although the frame has both single and twin headsteady mounting brackets I used the lug on the front of the head and made a tubular stainless one that fixes to the normal mounting for the steering damper bottom plate same as pre oil in frame A65.

A stainless seat base is also underway as is the fitting of a Newby primary drive.

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #25 on: 17.01. 2016 21:22 »
 Finally got the front plate area sorted--seems to have taken forever so will do for now. The outside oil pipe followed the frame tube beautifully with a 90 degree fitting but did not look right running outside the frame so took the inside route instead. It looks tight in the pic but everything does miss.

A chunk of ally and a couple of bearings are on the way for some sort of outrigger set up so lots of freezing in the shed ahead.

A Newby clutch being vandalised with white silicone ,yellow paint and a centre punch.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #26 on: 18.01. 2016 01:03 »
G'day danmar, looking good mate.
Is the filter on the scavenge or feed side of the pump?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #27 on: 18.01. 2016 21:16 »
  Cheers Musky.  The filter is in the feed side.

Without it the old motor would chew the big end shells in 1500 miles. You would not believe how that few thou thick coating on four shells turns into three wheel barrows worth of shiny flakes that take forever to clean out.

Never had any problems since fitting provided the R 40 and filter are regularly changed.

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #28 on: 24.01. 2016 19:54 »
 Made a sleeve with oversize id /undersize od to go on the mainshaft and with an old bearing slightly undersized a few trial assemblies can commence  before fitting the sealed bearing and the proper size sleeve [which is stuck to the alternator rotor in a pic] .

Retaining plates will hold the bearing in the ally plate which in turn will bolt to the gearbox plates  and some slots to allow some adjustment. Bit of a tight fit but I'll make it work somehow.

Offline danma

• A's Good Friend
  • W Norfolk UK
« Reply #29 on: 06.02. 2016 20:34 »
  Got the slots sorted and a rough shape whittled out. I'll leave the thin square bit to stop crud from the chain getting on my shiny clutch and to give something for the outer chaincase to fix to.

I'll tidy it up and get some weight off it next week.